Technical Diesel leak post cambelt replacement

Currently reading:
Technical Diesel leak post cambelt replacement

tim051

Hi, my lad purchased a Fiat Ducato with the following engine: F1agl411d. As part of the deal, the garage replaced the cambelt and all appeared fine. He drove home about 80 miles and has hardly used the van as he is fitting it out as a camper. At absolute max, he will have driven 90 miles since the cambelt replacement. We then noticed a patch on the road underneath the engine and we are both pretty sure it is diesel. You can see the liquid dripping (about 1 drip every 5 seconds) from behind the cambelt cover and therefore don't know exactly where the leak is from. I think I would need to jack the van up or use an inspection pit to easily get the cover off which we don't have access to either.

I have a couple of questions that someone will hopefully be able to help us out.

1. The garage are quite happy to look at the leak, but that means that we will have to drive it about 80 miles back to the garage. How dangerous is this? What are the chances of something igniting? My thoughts are that with the cool air blowing around and the fact that diesel needs high pressure to ignite that are should be ok to drive.
2. If the diesel is dripping on the cambelt, could this have an impact on the life of the belt? Could it deteriorate quicker than usual? Would the heat from the belt be an issue with regards to it catching fire?
3. Has anyone had a similar experience and how was the leak fixed.

I'm not a vehicle mechanic and just in a bit of predicament as what to do. Take it back with the possible risks involved or pay someone local to fix it at a cost to us rather than the garage where we purchased it.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.
Many Thanks

100% take it back .
If there is diesel inside the timing belt cover it is not a fast fix.

Back