Technical Buying a Mk1

Currently reading:
Technical Buying a Mk1

Our original hood was cream/beige and the car is blue. We replaced it with a blue hood about ten years ago. The metallic green and bronze Cabrio also had the cream roof. I believe that Yellow versions had a blue roof, although I have also seen them with black. I have seen black cars with cream or black roofs, but red or white cars only with black roofs. Although most cars will have had their roofs replaced by now, most will have kept their original tonneau cover which will be the same colour as the original roof.

For the mk1 1993-1995 there is no code system. From 1995 onwards all should have the code system. That originally would have come with three keys one master and two blue slave keys for everyday use.

tbh Dom, I wouldn't worry about getting the red key, its not so much of a big deal to get a copy made of a blue key nowadays - although its still always nice to see one with all the keys.

I would have thought (although cannot be 100% on this), that later mk1's would have had the later style CODE system, which never came with a red key. I say this because I have had other fiats from before the end of punto production that had the later style keys. My last cinquecento for example was a 1997 car but had the later style keys and CODE. Anyhow, if a car has the later style it will have a little symbol on the metal part of the key, like a round thing with a number 2 - i'll try find a pic.

edit: here is the symbol, thats a later style key granted but thats the later code system symbol that would be present if the car had no red master from new
20100310053140563.jpg

Last edited:
Hi guys, my 1995 cabrio doesn't have CODE system.
My friend gave me a spare ECU (1.6 90 GM ECU):

9059765026_bc0bdb7b73_m.jpg

is this plug & play if one day my ECU will be gone?

From your description it does sound like failure of the stitching. I don't know if it can be repaired, but it is likely that the rest of the roof might be in a similar state. You need to budget about £400 to £500 for a fitted replacement. If you feel confident in fitting it yourself, you could do it for less. Digger58 recently bought a Cabrio and was going to fit a new hood himself. I believe he started the job, but haven't seen an update. Have look at his thread: https://www.fiatforum.com/punto/433145-cabriolet-soft-top-removal.html

Quick answer: No the driver's seat does not go up and down. It does have retracting seatbelts in the event of an accident, which I think means they have a small explosive charge which requires careful handling if you are messing about with the seats.

They are not a pyro pretensioner, they are a manual momentum activated thingy, that's why so many of them have activated without being in any crash! Sliding the seat forward too fast can activate them. To work on them make sure the blue safety tab is inserted (circled in yellow) There is also a tell tale piece that pops out of the buckle receiver (circled in red) when they activte.

Cabrio's - Hood colours? Were they all black/grey or were other colours available from factory? Seen one with like a beige-ish roof, would that be factory or a replacement hood? Thanks

Mine is blue and original.

Attachments

• DSCF2489.JPG
    DSCF2489.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 22
From your description it does sound like failure of the stitching. I don't know if it can be repaired, but it is likely that the rest of the roof might be in a similar state. You need to budget about £400 to £500 for a fitted replacement. If you feel confident in fitting it yourself, you could do it for less. Digger58 recently bought a Cabrio and was going to fit a new hood himself. I believe he started the job, but haven't seen an update. Have look at his thread: https://www.fiatforum.com/punto/433145-cabriolet-soft-top-removal.html

I had my hood off to get it repaired and a new back window fitted, Bit of work involved but easy enough, If you need any help PM me an I will arrange photos, I haven't put the trim back yet so I can give you plenty of photos of what to do. You will need some help though. Once it was off you then have to strip the hood from the frame, some things are pop riveted on and I drilled these out and have replaced them with black self tappers in preparation for the new one I hope to get made.

Here's Bertie!

Aww Bertie (from the photos anyway) looks a lot better than mine! Although I got (as yet unnamed) for a very cheap price knowing that it needs quite a bit of tarting up, which is the plan anyway as I won't be driving it until the summer.

Hopefully providing the weather is good enough I'll give it a wash tomorrow and start a MM thread :D

Random question, have been doing general all round inspections today and making my "to-do list", while poking around under the bonnet and familiarising myself with the 128 SOHC engine I noticed I have no idea what this pipe is (outlined in red),

It doesn't appear to create any sort of vacuum with the engine running and I can't see where it disappears to behind the engine.

Alternator cooling pipe
it goes on the plastic outlet of the alternator with a clamp

Back