Technical Abarth Clocks

Currently reading:
Technical Abarth Clocks

yes, that's possible but after a Proxy Alignment it will only show the relevant info for your type of car , so no oil pressure/temp. gauges for example....
But it's still a nice upgrade, i fitted the Abarth clocks in my 1.6 Stilo....

If fitted to a JTD, the engine oil pressure light doesn't work, and you don't get the engine oil level indicator. You also don't get the glow plug timer light because the Abarth cluster doesn't have one.

If fitted to a JTD, the engine oil pressure light doesn't work, and you don't get the engine oil level indicator. You also don't get the glow plug timer light because the Abarth cluster doesn't have one.

Bummer :(

Marshall147 gave me his set of Abarth Clocks for my JTD, but it looks like they may be of more use to someone else with a petrol engine unfortunately?? ;)

I've not given up on this yet.

Discovered from eLEARN that the Abarth cluster is capable of displaying the diesel oil level gauge and the glow plug symbol, and from an old owner's handbook that it displays a low oil pressure symbol.

The JTD engine has an oil pressure switch wired to the engine management ECU which sends an on/off signal to the body computer, then to the cluster via the CAN to switch the warning light on or off. Whereas the Abarth engine has oil pressure and temperature sensors that each send variable voltage signals direct to the cluster. I've tried connecting a switch to the relevant pin on the Abarth cluster but that still doesn't work so it's still "work in progress".

In the diagrams below, eLEARN refers to the Abarth cluster as the High Instrument Panel, and the handbook refers to it as the Reconfigurable Multifunction Display as opposed to the standard Multifunction Display.

Attachments

• Abarth Diesel Display.jpg
    Abarth Diesel Display.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 291
  • Abarth Oil Light0001.jpg
    Abarth Oil Light0001.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 138
I've not given up on this yet.

Discovered from eLEARN that the Abarth cluster is capable of displaying the diesel oil level gauge and the glow plug symbol, and from an old owner's handbook that it displays a low oil pressure symbol.

The JTD engine has an oil pressure switch wired to the engine management ECU which sends an on/off signal to the body computer, then to the cluster via the CAN to switch the warning light on or off. Whereas the Abarth engine has oil pressure and temperature sensors that each send variable voltage signals direct to the cluster. I've tried connecting a switch to the relevant pin on the Abarth cluster but that still doesn't work so it's still "work in progress".

In the diagrams below, eLEARN refers to the Abarth cluster as the High Instrument Panel, and the handbook refers to it as the Reconfigurable Multifunction Display as opposed to the standard Multifunction Display.

I'd be very interested in the outcome of your "work in progress" Davren (y)

I've tried connecting a switch to the relevant pin on the Abarth cluster but that still doesn't work so it's still "work in progress".
Yeah I'm keen to hear how you get on with this as well Dave.

On a similar topic I have another question to pick your brains with if you don't mind; Now I've put the whole Abarth interior into my JTD, as per Marks guide (excluding cluster at the mo) I now get an "oil level sensor fault" warning message every time I put the ignition on. I think I'm right in saying that only the JTDs have an oil level sensor and the Abarth wouldn't have. Having swapped the wiring loom behind the dash from my JTD with the Abarth one, to run all the extras, the warning light now appears so I can only assume the Abarth loom is missing a wire or two which the JTD loom used for oil level sensor signal. My though is to take the necessary wires out of my original loom add them to the Abarth loom to complete the circuit again. My problem is what wires and from what connectors!? Would you have any input for this or be able to point me in the direction of where to find the necessary wiring diagram?
Thanks

Yes.... it's only the JTD engine that has an oil level sensor.

The relevant section of the wiring diagram is below.

B02 = Dashboard Fuse Box.
K32 = Engine Oil Level Sensor.
E50 = Instrument Panel.

If you've only replaced the wiring behind the dashboard, and not touched the D4 connector under the engine fuse box, then the 2 wires (LG and LR) from the oil level sensor to pins 5 and 6 of connector A on the dashboard fuse box connector A should still be there.

I suspect that by changing the JTD wiring loom for the Abarth one, you're missing the 2 wires (CB and AL) that go from pins 15 and 16 of connector H on the dashboard fuse box to pins 18 and 17 of connector B on the instrument panel.

Wiring colours mentioned in brackets above are:
LG = Dark Blue/Yellow
LR = Dark Blue/Red
CB = Orange/White
AL = Light Blue/Dark Blue
However, wiring colours shown on Fiat wiring diagrams are often wrong.

Attachments

• Instrument Panel Wiring..JPG
    Instrument Panel Wiring..JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 160
I suspect that by changing the JTD wiring loom for the Abarth one, you're missing the 2 wires (CB and AL) that go from pins 15 and 16 of connector H on the dashboard fuse box to pins 18 and 17 of connector B on the instrument panel.

Yep spot on, assuming that connector H is the big green connector at the back of the dash fusebox (body computer?)

I found the Abarth loom had 2 wires less then the JTD loom at the instrument panel connector. I traced them back through the loom to the big green connector (Connector H?) and removed the pins, took the wires out and clipped them into my Abarth loom. Bingo, no more oil level sensor warning. I'm assuming the oil level dots on the display will work again but I didn't have the steering wheel on when I tested it (took it off to fix as one of the buttons is playing up) so the airbag fault message kept hissing at me. I'll put it back together tomorrow and test it properly.

I did notice that one of the white connectors behind the "my car" panel has a lot more wires in it on the JTD loom then the Abarth loom, but half of them have no wires at the other side of the connector, a bit odd!?

The grey box attached to the back of the dashboard fuse box is the body computer, however connector H as shown on the wirng diagram above is on the fuse box. eLEARN shows it as a green connector.

If the Abarth had Xenon HID headlamps, then it wouldn't have had the headlamp adjuster switches or the front fog light switch on the My Car panel. That could explain the fewer wires. It's a legal requirement that all HID headlamps have automatic adjusters, and the Fiat version of them don't have fog lights.

Attachments

• MODE Switch Panel.JPG
    MODE Switch Panel.JPG
    830.3 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
I'd be very interested in the outcome of your "work in progress" Davren (y)

Yeah I'm keen to hear how you get on with this as well Dave.

Still not managed to get the oil level display and glow plug light working on my JTD with the Abarth cluster. I read on another thread somewhere that the Fiat Examiner does the Proxy Alignment procedure more thoroughly than Multiecuscan so booked it into the local Fiat dealer. Despite me telling them what I was trying to achieve, and them giving me a price of £45, when I got there, they refused to even try it. :mad:

Although it would be good to get them working, I'm not too concerned about the oil level indicator or the glow plug light. The oil level indicator was never very acurate, so I always checked the dipstick anyway. The glow plug light isn't essential because the car always starts immediately when the engine is warm, and when it's cold, I just switch the ignition on for a few seconds before going to the MAR position with the key.

I reckon the oil pressure light is the most important one, so have found a way to get that working.

I used the redundant "120" km/h warning light that's only used for Saudi Arabian markets (was the Stilo ever sold in Saudi Arabia?) and wired it direct to the JTD oil pressure switch. The wire at the oil pressure switch is difficult to get to so I spliced a wire to the Blue/Black wire from pin 98 of the engine management ECU. I fed the wire through the large bulkhead grommet near the clutch master cylinder to a spare pin on the Abarth cluster. I also soldered a wire from that spare pin to the LED behind the "120" symbol on the cluster PCB.

Whilst the cluster was dismantled, I also scratched the 120 off the back of the dial to make it just a large red light that's more visible.

Attachments

• PICT1709 Circled.JPG
    PICT1709 Circled.JPG
    491.2 KB · Views: 155
  • PICT1724.JPG
    PICT1724.JPG
    654.5 KB · Views: 194
Still not managed to get the oil level display and glow plug light working on my JTD with the Abarth cluster. I read on another thread somewhere that the Fiat Examiner does the Proxy Alignment procedure more thoroughly than Multiecuscan so booked it into the local Fiat dealer. Despite me telling them what I was trying to achieve, and them giving me a price of £45, when I got there, they refused to even try it. :mad:

Although it would be good to get them working, I'm not too concerned about the oil level indicator or the glow plug light. The oil level indicator was never very acurate, so I always checked the dipstick anyway. The glow plug light isn't essential because the car always starts immediately when the engine is warm, and when it's cold, I just switch the ignition on for a few seconds before going to the MAR position with the key.

I reckon the oil pressure light is the most important one, so have found a way to get that working.

I used the redundant "120" km/h warning light that's only used for Saudi Arabian markets (was the Stilo ever sold in Saudi Arabia?) and wired it direct to the JTD oil pressure switch. The wire at the oil pressure switch is difficult to get to so I spliced a wire to the Blue/Black wire from pin 98 of the engine management ECU. I fed the wire through the large bulkhead grommet near the clutch master cylinder to a spare pin on the Abarth cluster. I also soldered a wire from that spare pin to the LED behind the "120" symbol on the cluster PCB.

Whilst the cluster was dismantled, I also scratched the 120 off the back of the dial to make it just a large red light that's more visible.

Cheers for this Davren ;)

Quick Q, if i was to unplug my current clocks and plug in the Abarth clocks just to see if they power up fine, say without any missing bits on the centre screen. Would this cause any problems? Also not sure what mileage the Abarth clocks have done, prob not as many as the 140,000 my jtd has done :)

thanks again Davren (y)

The Abarth cluster should work OK apart from the oil level indicator, the glow plug light and the oil pressure light. Once you've fitted it, it will show the mileage of the Abarth cluster. The mileage may flash, but that can be stopped with the Proxy Alignment procedure.

If you keep the Abarth cluster, you can adjust the mileage up to you actual mileage with the registered version of Multiecuscan. When you get the MOT now, it shows the recorded mileage for the previous 3 tests. Not sure if they can do anything about it if the car suddenly shows a mileage drop though.

I shall give that a go thanks Davren :D

And i may with your permission pop down to see you in Ldn if you could help me with the wiring in of the Oil pressure switch. I'd prob mess that bit up :eek:

Could fund you a drink or two if that ok Davren (y)

You can, but it's not a quick thing to do. Took me about 5 hours to do mine, second one would probably be about 3 - 4 hours.

Dashboard fuse box and body computer have to come out the get to the bulkhead grommet. Engine management ECU, it's bracket, the expansion bottle, and possibly the engine mounting have to come out to get access to the engine wiring loom. Also, the cluster has to come out and be dismantled to solder the extra wire in.

You can, but it's not a quick thing to do. Took me about 5 hours to do mine, second one would probably be about 3 - 4 hours.

Dashboard fuse box and body computer have to come out the get to the bulkhead grommet. Engine management ECU, it's bracket, the expansion bottle, and possibly the engine mounting have to come out to get access to the engine wiring loom. Also, the cluster has to come out and be dismantled to solder the extra wire in.

Well i'm up for it if you are at some point Davren (y)

Let me just first plug in the Abarth clocks soon and see they are working perfectly and then we can arrange sometime going forwards :D

Thanks for your help, You are definitely " The Man " :worship:

Hello everyone.

I have a 1.6 petrol Stilo and i recently purchased abarth clocks for it. The problem is that i get "Loose Conection" and "Parking sensors failure" errors, but when i fit back my instrument cluster i have no error what so ever. I connected with FES and no erros on any ECU detected. Where is the problem and how can i fix it?

I don't have parking sensors, and i have one single conector for clocks on the back inside the dashboard...cause i also noticed that the abarth clocks have tho connectors on the back.

What should i do? Thank you!

Edit: i mean, is there any chance that errors to be only inside instrument cluster?

Last edited:

Thanks for this Davren, you're a very clever chap indeed. I'll hopefully have mine up and running by this weekend...

I have a 1.6 petrol Stilo and i recently purchased abarth clocks for it. The problem is that i get "Loose Conection" and "Parking sensors failure" errors, but when i fit back my instrument cluster i have no error what so ever. I connected with FES and no erros on any ECU detected. Where is the problem and how can i fix it?
cluster?

Davren is really your man to answer this, but from what I know you can turn parking sensors on/off with a registered copy of Miltiecuscan.

The Abarth cluster does have 2 plugs going to it in an Abarth, 1 plug does 95% of the functions and the other does a couple of other less important things (Davren will tell you what) Both Davren and myself are using this cluster in our JTDs and both of us have 2 plugs going to the clocks. From memory my standard JTD wiring loom has 1 wire (i think orange) going to a grey plug which plugs into a connector at the back of the clocks on the left hand side if you're facing the clocks. If you only have 1 plug (the black one), double check your wiring loom to see if you can find another plug behind the stereo or something. This may be why you're getting "Loose Connection" message.

Back