fiat before 1.jpg

500 (Classic) 1963 'D' resto with 126

Introduction

Hi all, I have learned a huge amount from threads on this site, so now my own resto is underway I thought I should start my own thread. I don't guarantee I can add an insight, but hopefully I can offer some inspiration!

I've never restored a car before, but have done a few old vespas and recently completed a nut and bolt restoration on an old moto guzzi, so am pretty confident I can have fun with this car and hopefully do a good job.

I bought the car in about October last year through an online auction. It was in a different city so I didn't view it first. A friend had a quick look and I took a bit of a leap of faith. I's a 1963 D model, which has had the rear roof unbolted to make it a "Transformable" of sorts. The existing roof just used the standard roof frame and some extra cross bars. You had to fold it back by hand but it worked well enough. The car ran well and I had a blast driving around for 3 months of summer.

It was pretty obvious the car had rust but I ignored this while I had fun. Earlier this year the car failed its warrant of fitness test so it was time to go and see my mate Dan, who's a panel beater, and figure how bad the rust really was. The pics here show some of what was in the sills and floor. The car had a "makeover" in about 1990, and was probably quite god then, but 22 more years on the road and the rust had slowly done its job. Front panel, battery ray, drivers door, floor, inner and outer sills all needed replacing...

Faced with either a full resto or a trip to the dump I decided to save the car. And so the learning curve stated! I'll post up soon with some pics on whee the panel work has got to so far, some details of the fiat 126 donor I found and some of the work I've done on the rest of the car while the panel gets done.

Cheers Roger
Hi Roger

Just wonder if you could advise me on the regulations for a rear high central brake light in New Zealand? Do I need one for the Bambina?

Regards – Tim

Hi Tim, as per my PM, vehicles first registerd in NZ prior to 1990 don't require a high stop light. At least that is my reading of the regs. If your car is an import or you can't prove pre 1990 registration (lost plates etc) then you can work through the vintage car club to get a 'lighting endorsement' This is quite common for old cars or motorbikes with no indicators etc.

I have now driven six (clandestine) kms in my car, testing various aspects. With the new wiring loom in place it took A whileto get all the lights working, just due to faulty earth connections where new paint etc was getting in the way.

I want the car to 'feel' good, not just look good, so I have spent a huge amount of time on details like making sure the window winders aren't sticky or the windscreen wipers go 'swish, swish' not 'switch, clunk, swish' etc etc. I could write a lengthy essay on quarterlight windows.... Meanwhile a few small details need sorting - who knew that the standard tin clutch/flywheel cover doesn't fit when you're using a 4litre Abarth sump?!

Speaking of covers, I am considering whether or not to fit the left rear splash guard which protects the generator ( or alternator in my case). It looks ugly. What do there here do? I don't plan to pamper the car - I build her to use her - but let's face it, I probably won't be saying " oh, it's pouring with rain, let's take the fiat out for an ince cream kids..."

Cheers
Roger

Hello Roger,

Am setting about collecting all the parts required for the oil cooler mod and have noted your kit, unfortunately your supplier cannot now supply everything and I have a question or two if you could help. The oil take-off fitted to the Timing Chain Cover - do the securing bolts run all the way through the casing to the pump?? How is the fitting connected to receive the oil - o ring or some other sealing method?? Is your pump modified (uprated) to allow for the extra plumbing to the cooler and back?? I have found a supplier that can sell me the oil take off only, so I need to be sure of the situation for fitting this to my Cover.
Also, where did you get your exhaust from as I have a problem with the down pipes on mine being close to the block and preventing too much modification??
Sorry for all the questions and thank you in advance.

Ian.

From what I have seen on 1 of these oil-take-offs, the bolts go all the way through the timing-chain cover and are either 'loc-tited' or nyloc-nuts used. The 'O' ring seal would seem to be all the sealing required between the cover and the take-off. The Pump does not need to be up-rated. A colleague of mine fitted his oil-cooler in the space under the rear window--lots of air, out of site. An alternative, if you have an Italian colleague, is to look at the NANNI RICAMBI site--he sells a timing-cover, complete with take-off, but is very difficult to deal with if you are outside Italy. I am going to Italy in May (to watch the Mille Miglia) and could bring 1 (and only 1, as I am bringing 1 back for myself) back if you want.
For a good, sound and not toooo noisy exhaust contact Middle Barton Garage. I bought a single outlet exhaust from them, very satisfied. It fits on with 126 exhaust clamps. If you have the engine out (or fitting an alloy sump) I would suggest that you modify the TOP exhaust mounting-clamp studs---tap the holes the whole way through, then use a machine screw from the INSIDE (complete with flat washer, spring washer and loc-tite) and do them up TIGHT. Do NOT use any form of self-locking nut as they can 'catch' and will then unscrew the bolt. Use a plain nut, and another plain nut as a locking nut. Makes for a much stronger mounting (it's an old Abarth trick). As I mentioned earlier, I will going 'off the air' due to house moving, so all the best with the project.
thumb.gif

Hobbler,
Thanks for the very generous offer - I shall bear it in mind as I'm not sure if I will have the adaptor or not by then, thanks again and good luck with the move.

Ian.

Hi Ian, I just saw you post. Sorry, I cannot recall how the oil takeoff was mounted as it came already attached to a new timing cover I never paid any attention. I would assume it has an o-ring I there somewhere. I do not believe the pump has been uprated, BUT I do know that the 126 pump has more capacity than the standard 500 version. You can buy 126 pumps and as far as I can see only a small amount would need to be machined from a 500 timing cover to accommodate the slightly larger pumping gears. Sorry I can't be of more help on that one.
As for the exhaust, it is a CSC and came from fiat500ricambi dot com. Jeez, I just looked it up now - did I really spend that much on it?! It's bloody nice though! They have quite a range so should have something that suits your setup.
Cheers
Roger

Hello Roger,

Thanks for your return - appreciated. I have in fact heard from "Nanni Ricambi" saying that the advertised part (Timing Case Cover) does not include an oil pump? They will charge an extra 60 euro for new and 28.50 euro for used (hobbler please note) so my bill for the oil cooler system seems ever higher, am waiting for some parts from Italy and will look into an exhaust system after they are here, thanks again.

Ian.

Hi Roger

Another NZ question.

What's the situation in NZ for rear seatbelt compliance and fitting them to the 500-F?

I've just been told it can open a can of worms getting them passed.

Can they be fitted and if so, is there a standard way to fit them? My panelbeater thinks that just a welded bolt on the underside won't comply. And there's no real strength in the window posts for attaching higher up.
Tim

Hi Tim, you're in luck. The certifying engineer is coming to inspect my car today so I will ask in detail about what he's looking for with seat belt mounts. On my car he wanted to see sandwich plates riveted to the body. I think that unless the weld is original to the car then riveting is preferred, but like I say, I'll check.

Ian, did you get a modified timing cover for your oil cooler set-up? If so I have some advice about hose fittings - had a major one with a hose blowing off while driving. I stopped in time but it made a bloody big mess!

I have now done 200kms of very careful driving to bed in my engine and smoke out any small faults. Nearly there.

Cheers
Roger

Oh yeah, and i fitted new bumpers. The cost of rechroming in NZ is incredible, and the results are not always long lasting, so I figured I'd buy new bumpers which are advertised as "45 micron" chrome. The pair were cheaper to buy than even rechroming one old bumper so I figured it was worth a try. I'll let you know how long they last.

Hi Roger

Just reading your excellent build thread. For your bumpers and other new chrome you could use Gtechniq C1/C5. Give them a panel wipe, apply C1 or C5 sparíngly with a couple of coats and allow to cure for at least 24 hours. Overcoat with either Exo or C2 or any good car wax and keep it topped up.

This should keep your chrome in good order. The C1/C5 can be reapplied every 2 years or so.

http://www.gtechniq.com.au/articles/Delivery_Information/40

cheers, Steve

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Steve, I'll look into that product.

Tim, I asked my certifier about seatbelts. To cut a long story short, there is a pretty exact formula for where and how they should be fitted, but as each car is different you need to work with a certifier to ensure they are happy. Apparently the process for auto-retract belts is far more exacting than for static type belts. So long as you start with a certifier and follow the instructions they give you should be fine.

My own belts etc all passed muster, as did all my other mods - steering rack, steering column, lowering, 126 rear brakes, alloy wheels etc etc. I just had to get my disc brake hangers x-rayed as they are welded so I had to prove no cracks. Got he report back this morning - all good! All that's needed now is a basic brake and emissions test and the car will be fully legal. Yee haa!

A full professional wheel alignment has also transformed the car and it drives like a dream (if your dream happens to be a blue Italian go cart...)

I am keeping the revs below 4k (or 4.5k if tempted) and she purrs along nicely.

I have yet to hook up the oil temp gauge (waiting for a connector) but would be very interested to know the sort of readings anyone out there is getting on their own oil temp. Likewise, has anyone used a laser thermometer to measure manifold or head temp after a brief run? I'd love some numbers to compare with.

After three years off the road I had forgotten how people stare at these little cars. Plenty of people want to talk when you park up too. One guy who saw my bright red 'abarth' sump letters even followed me to my destination so he could talk about his own experience with abarth fiats in London during the 1980's, and then came round the next day with a bunch of books on abarth racing.

Here's some pics of how she turned out.

Cheers
Roger

Attachments

• IMG_3048.JPG
    IMG_3048.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 129
  • IMG_3058.JPG
    IMG_3058.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 120
  • IMG_3073.JPG
    IMG_3073.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 140
  • IMG_3050.JPG
    IMG_3050.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 114
  • IMG_3083.JPG
    IMG_3083.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 105
  • IMG_3032.JPG
    IMG_3032.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 143
  • IMG_3035.JPG
    IMG_3035.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 124
  • IMG_3040.JPG
    IMG_3040.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 117
  • IMG_3053.JPG
    IMG_3053.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 112
  • IMG_3061.JPG
    IMG_3061.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 123
  • IMG_3051.JPG
    IMG_3051.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 139
  • IMG_3072.JPG
    IMG_3072.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 134
  • IMG_3066.JPG
    IMG_3066.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 132
She turned out good Roger...looks absolutely perfect from here.
I am sure we all know what you mean about the looks and comments the cars elicit from people.
I wouldn't always be keen on being at the receiving end of that; I have had some annoying comments about a pre-war car I own. But with this car it's always good-natured and comes from such a range of people; from the pretty young lady at the greengrocer's, an old lady outside the chemists (pharmacy) and a big, gruff builder on a site I visited.
A van even pulled up ahead in a layby where I was taking photos; he had never seen one, as he put it, "in the flesh". Simlar comments last Friday from a young man at a local garage repair shop, which I was visiting to arrange trailer hire. (Bought another 500:bang:)
Happy motoring and if my standard engine rebuild is anything to go on, it's amazing how much the power and smoothness (relative term, of course) comes on as the lump of metal gets properly run-in.

Thanks guys. I am so looking forward to enjoying the car. I loved the build - my wife says I'm hopeless without a project on the go - but I'm happy it''s time to put the tools away, we'll, at least until the full 500km service:)

I really like the way people respond to the car. It makes people smile and that's great. They were massively popular cars in NZ and nearly everyone has a memory of owning or riding in one. If I had a dollar for every time someone has told me "I knew a really tall guy who used to drive with his head out of the sunroof..." I'd nearly recoup the cost of the build!

Chris, once I have some more driving under my belt I'd love to swap notes on how our engine perform since they are so close in spec. I can be quite a trainspotter when it comes to " I get xxKPH at xxxxxRPM "

Cheers
Roger

Lovely looking car Roger. I'm a bit nervous now if this is the standards us fellow restorers have to achieve. What colour is that engine tinwork? That's exactly the colour I want mine
Damian

Back