Tires

Currently reading:
Tires

MrBlue

Can I put bigger tires on my Abarth? I really hate the solid ride on it, you feel every bump on the road. Could it be a suspension issue?

Can I put bigger tires on my Abarth? I really hate the solid ride on it, you feel every bump on the road. Could it be a suspension issue?
Higher profile tyres improve the ride of most cars, but depending on clearance around the wheel arch etc. is whether you have to down size the rims which of course will help to keep the overall "rolling circumference " and so accuracy of speedo etc.:)

Higher profile tyres improve the ride of most cars, but depending on clearance around the wheel arch etc. is whether you have to down size the rims which of course will help to keep the overall "rolling circumference " and so accuracy of speedo etc.:)
Thank you, bugsymike, I will keep that in mind.

The suspension on your Abarth is going to be very firm by design. As mentioned tyres can help, but you’ll maybe lose cornering and sharp handling characteristics in favour of smoother rolling in a straight line.

Check out touring tyres as opposed to high performance. Michelin’s are always a good choice - long lasting and safe when worn usually for the same money as other ‘big brands’. Well worth it on your Abarth. Their touring line is the Primacy, if you can get them in your size.

Another option with an Abarth is to look at aftermarket suspension. Personally I subscribe to the idea that factory parts are best, but in a true performance car like yours some really quality kits are made and well tested to amplify or change your cars drive and performance - could be a lot of fun 😊

But the oversize rims are probably to clear oversize brake discs.. 🤔

The abarth is supposed to have a very firm ride it’s part of what makes it handle so well and part of what makes it a performance model.

You could potentially fit larger tires but that would mean larger rolling circumference and then you speedo would not measure properly

Another likely issue is that the tires would foul the wheel arch liner and over time wear holes in it. Fiat have very little tolerance of bigger wheels.

You would likely need to go down in wheel size to go up in tire size. The abarth came with 16, 17 and 18 inch wheels as far as I recall so depending what you have fitted will dictate what you could reasonably do.

Back