Tired to order Punto Evo but factory closed?

Currently reading:
Tired to order Punto Evo but factory closed?

JAM11E

I went to Fiat yesterday to upgrade my current car to an Evo GP and the salewoman told me that the plant is on shutdown and does not know when it's going to re-open.
Is this true? If so, any ideas when they will continue production?

Jamie

Maybe they are retooling for the 2012 Punto. It's just another facelift of the Punto 3 (Grande-Evo-2012) and not a new vehicle. Nice to see that Fiat realized the Evo was a step backwards in style and are going to quickly correct it.

I'd guess it can't be down to flooding unless the flooding is also affecting Southern Regions of Italy :confused: as the Punto is built at Melfi, which is in Central Southern Italy.

The only Factory producing Fiat's or Alfa's in Northern Italy is Mirafiori, which builds the MiTo along with some models we don't get in the UK. They have Ferrari & Maserati plants in Northern Italy too, but i doubt many of us have one of them on order - i'll be trying an Alfa before i get too greedy :p

I'd guess it can't be down to flooding unless the flooding is also affecting Southern Regions of Italy :confused: as the Punto is built at Melfi, which is in Central Southern Italy.

The only Factory producing Fiat's or Alfa's in Northern Italy is Mirafiori, which builds the MiTo along with some models we don't get in the UK. They have Ferrari & Maserati plants in Northern Italy too, but i doubt many of us have one of them on order - i'll be trying an Alfa before i get too greedy :p

JTD Liam, if it's not too much trouble, would you please change the color of the light green text in your signature to dark green? The light text on a white background is nearly impossible for these old eyes to read.

Thank you.

JTD Liam, if it's not too much trouble, would you please change the color of the light green text in your signature to dark green? The light text on a white background is nearly impossible for these old eyes to read.

Thank you.

Turn Signatures off
or When people hide fonts with colours - Run you mouse over it to highlight it - and you'll see it clear as day :)

ziggy

Turn Signatures off
or When people hide fonts with colours - Run you mouse over it to highlight it - and you'll see it clear as day :)

ziggy

I tried that with the mouse and nothing changed. It was still very difficult to read.

I tried it again holding the mouse button down and the light green torned to medium bule, which I could read easily.

Thanks.

works for me thanks..!!,

@JTD_Liam - how's the mito..??

Charlie

It's pretty good. Handles well, sweet gear change, strong brakes without being grabby like a lot of new cars, light clutch, comfy seats (optional full leather), good leather steering wheel. Steering in Dynamic mode is very quick, but a bit like it's connected via elastic bands in Natural mode! The Stilo had more feel through the steering but the MiTo's isn't bad.

Engine (1.3 JTDm) feels very perky over 1500rpm and once you've got it going you'd be hard pushed to tell it's only 1248cc. However, the turbo doesn't cut in till 1500rpm & below that it's woeful. The Stilo picked up from the word go, so I do find myself having to drop to 2nd where i'd be able to floor it and go in 3rd in the Stilo. That does have a big 1.9 lump under the bonnet though.

Refinement is ok. The engine's a lot less diesel-like than the Stilo's and you get hardly any engine noise at motorway speed as I used to. Wind noise is also low, but tyre roar can be tiring on poor surfaces. On good surfaces it's a lot quieter than the Stilo though (both on 17" wheels).

Fuel economy is good, but not outstanding. It's claimed combined MPG is 80mpg, and i'm getting 53-55mpg over the first 4 tank fulls (measured manually, not via the on board computer, though this is proving pretty accurate). Stilo did 45-49mpg and claimed combined was 53.3, so it got a lot closer to its claimed.

The biggest negative is ride. It's overly firm and at times crashy. It's fine on motorways and twisty b-roads but going anywhere near town makes me wanna cry. It'd be less of a problem if the UK sorted out its roads, but the MiTo ride & suspension is still unacceptable on a car of its price. The Stilo, whilst firm, had a slightly more sophisticated rear suspension set-up and it showed. I think MiTo's with small 16" wheels or the active suspension would be better - sadly mine's on 17"'s and has the bog standard suspension.

So overall, I'd give the MiTo 7 out of 10. Good looking, good handling, fairly perky & fairly comfy. Let down by no power under 1500rpm, slightly less than expected economy and poor ride. Plus it's got an annoying noise from underneath for which a new exhaust is on order under warranty. The dealership has been good about that though.

Hi Liam,
thanks for that.., :)
I've not been out in a Mito..but from what I've heard you can still tell it's GP underpinnings,:eek:
MY TA is not the best of rides.. you think "should've had a MUCH longer test drive":(

however when I drive the same roads in a Focus TDCi - with supposedly great suspension - I want to be back in the FIAT :rolleyes:

my TA has free'd off noticably having crossed the 10K mark,
and combined with the warmer mornings is now showing decent economy(y)

are you still in "L.A.";) area ?

it would be great if you could make it to a "Midland Italia" meet down our way,

( Abingdon / Oxford centred )

Charlie

No idea why thisjust resppeared..

But it's funny

I had the same pause when wanting to order in early 2013.. Had to buy whatever was in UK stock

My options were white bodywork.. Of Red

I went for the "Italian look"..
Lovely RED bodywork 😎

I did 200 miles a day in it last weekend,

Driving nicely at 75k......
I have recently bought the MITO variant, ride is firmer, handling better.. But a little flatter in power ( I've done nothing to investigate / improve as yet)

Fate wise..,
I am planning a trip to Northern Italy..

Realised I am going within an hour of Turin, so the Mirafiori plant ( where the GP line was built..?) and the FCA museum is based
Seems to have added itself to my Itinerary.. 😊

It turns out there are several museums.. 🙂
One is the FCA heritage,Fiat, Alfa, Lancia

Another is FIAT .. Not just cars
T =Turin (alfa is Milan)

I believe there is a museum of "Automobiles of Italy".. So a broad spectrum

Trying to figure out what I can get into in one day visit.. 🤔
will you be near the race track roof factory? Now that it’s a garden too, can always justify it as a non-car sightseeing experience to whoever you’re visiting with 😎

Back