Technical Panda passanger door handle "sticking" / not releasing

Currently reading:
Technical Panda passanger door handle "sticking" / not releasing

jaywalk

I saw that there are some posts on this topic over the years but I chose to revive it anyway since I couldn't find my answer.

The door handle on the front passanger side gets stuck when opened, and has to be pushed back down manually in order for the door to lock. This to me wouldn't have been such an issue, but the MOT test here in Sweden marked this as a fault. It has to be fixed.

Putting 5-56 in it from the outside seem to have no effect at all, so I figured I had to open up the doors panel to see if anything is broken or stuck. I read that there is a fair amount of plastic in this mechanism, will have to see if this is my problem.

The initial question for which I couldn't find the answer: How do I remove this panel? On the inside of the door I found two screws in the bottom, and one in the grip. Another 5 that are revealed only when the door is opened, on its side.

I tried removing those on the inside panel and losening the top and bottom one on the side but that does not seem to help. The panel won't move.

Anyone that can tell me which spot to hit? Or is this a case of just driving it to the nearest mechanic and letting them do their job? My problem so far with mechanics in Sweden and Fiat is they have problems getting parts so experience tells me I should try fixing it myself if I can. (Which I don't mind.:))

EDIT: Fixed broken image links

Last edited:
Only concern yourself with the grey plastic panel.

1. Remove the screws you mention

2. Get a plastic spatula or similar non-scratching device and insert between the trim and metal door frame, pulling the plastic door card towards you.

The plastic door card is held in place with push-fit type plugs. They can seem quite firm.

Thanks! I'll try it soon.

Only as I went to bed last night I realized that I hadn't looked in the RTA manual for the car. There where plenty of pictures describing the procedure so although I don't speak french it comes as a handy reference.:)

That happened to me last year. I just squirted a little WD40 up under the handle in the corners and worked up and down. It soon fixed it.

EDIT: Oops, should have read your post with more care, you've already tried similar!

So, door opened last night but problem not solved. This is what I found after cutting of part of the insulation. (With some DeWalt product placement included by mistake:)).

I can reach some plastic box in there with my hand, but cannot see where I can reach anything that would be stuck or broken. Do I need to dismantle the whole mechanism, and if so, how do I reach it? The door surrounds it and even if I can physically get my hand in there, working inside the door seem like a real hazzle.

For your viewing pleasure, the door panel in the back seat!

Now I have an update for this issue. First: A lot of WD-40 did the trick! I didn't have too high hopes given that I did not succeed with 5-56 earlier, but soaking the exposed parts of the hinge and yanking the handle in and out finally made it spring back as it should. \o/

Though I now have a new issue. During this process I have done something to the central locking. After re-mounting the inner panel and fixing all the screws, the door no longer locks. From my initial analysis it seem like there's no signal getting through, and given that there is no manual lock on this door I cannot test the lock any other way as far as I know. The door closes fine, just never locks.

I realised this too late so I could not test any more today, will remove the panel again tomorrow and see if there's anything obvious but all tips are most welcome!

I hope this is the last update I need to make on this thread: Everything works!

After once again removing the inner panel of the front passanger door, testing the central lock (working) and re-assembling it everything seem fine again. I think the wire between the lock and the inner handle got stuck in the wrong position yesterday, causing the lock to fail.

In conclusion: The original problem was solved with WD-40 from the outside and one should take care when assembling the door panels.

My passenger door does the same thing and Wd40 solved mine.

Nice car it looks the same as mine

Thank you.

You saved me a lot of hassle removing the panel and a trip to the garage. I had exactly the same issue and resolved it as you describe - liberal applications of WD-40.

As a budget option I just used used a bog standard (waterproof) switch with a hole drilled in the space opposite the key hole. seems to have been reliable for the 2 weeks it's been fitted, looks neat enough against my plain black plastic trim and at 24p just about within my budget.

Also my handle seems to have very little movement (it was non functional when I bought the car, and no amount of cleaning and wd 40 has improved it) so I wasn't confident I could get a replacement microswitch to work reliably anyway.

I had the same (original) problem of my exterior door handles sticking "up" and the doors not latching when closed. In my case, a squirt of aerosol white lithium grease underneath the handle, at each end, seems to have done the trick and they all work reliably now.

A squirt of the same grease into the tailgate lock mechanism has made that a lot smooother, too.

Back