General Hi I'm new: Petrol Diesel decision.

Currently reading:
General Hi I'm new: Petrol Diesel decision.

AdamP1991

My dad and I are currently looking for a runaround to share however our circumstances and requirements are quite different.

He wants a small car that can cruise up and down the M4 comfortably and return good MPG through the week days. I want a good looking car that has a bit of go and is good fun on the weekends (to replace my current Citroen AX GT). I'm away at college during the week so my driving is purely pleasure...

Obvious choice is the Grande Punto Sporting, what with it being insurance group 6 and relatively nippy, good looking, quite large for it's class etc.

The 1.4 T-Jet really appeals to me as it seems to offer similar performance to my little AX as well as very good fuel consumption, good tunability in the future and it's petrol and therefore lively.

BUT. My dad is loving like the 1.6 16V diesel. 70mpg on the motorway is attractive, 6-speed box and tons of torque for easy driving etc, however i just don't put diesel and fun together.

So they're the same insurance group, only a grand or so in the price after discounts etc... what do do?

Admittedly I've never actually attempted to have fun in a diesel, the only ones I've driving being landies. Have Fiat nailed it and made a fun diesel?

Hey

I am in the same boat as yourself, trying to decide between the 2 models.....

I agree with you when you say putting diesel and fun together.. The only big difference i can see is the 1.6 deisel is going to be better to the mpg, slower by 0.7 seconds but more importantly i heard the new budget released by the government is putting the price of deisel up.

Sticky situation this is.

Would love to hear off other members as it sound like were both on the fence.

Hey

I am in the same boat as yourself, trying to decide between the 2 models.....

I agree with you when you say putting diesel and fun together.. The only big difference i can see is the 1.6 deisel is going to be better to the mpg, slower by 0.7 seconds but more importantly i heard the new budget released by the government is putting the price of deisel up.

Sticky situation this is.

Would love to hear off other members as it sound like were both on the fence.

We appear to have posted the same question at pretty much the same time! :p

The little 0-60 difference doesn't bother me too much tbh, its just the general driving experience of a diesel I'm not too sure about.

To be honest i think i might end up getting the 1.4 as got more leverage on price with the dealer.... Doesn't seem to have the 1.6 on online dealers websites for fiat to price match. The only question that is playing on my mind is if the 1.4 has a turbo.

To be honest i think i might end up getting the 1.4 as got more leverage on price with the dealer.... Doesn't seem to have the 1.6 on online dealers websites for fiat to price match. The only question that is playing on my mind is if the 1.4 has a turbo.

It does, LPT afaik. Hence the T-jet name.

Excellent. Sorry to sound like a novice (as i am one) but i cant find any info on the LPT afaik. Is that the turbo it has, what do you mean by that?

Low pressure turbo, not really a technical term, just means its there but not doing much :p

ahhh Tym we wont have that... i like you! ... and i have an mjet also :)

having never driven a tjet i cant comment but the mjet is pretty fun, may not be as nippy as the tjet but really good for motorway driving

Don't have a GP but after years of owning Fiat diesels I can say they 'nailed' it years ago. I don't think anyone would describe my driving as boring or slow. There is genuine enjoyment in country roads, with all that torque just ripping the car out of the slow corners and projecting you towards the next.

Simple answer...

Test drive both.

The new 1.6 M-jet engine will be a good one. Quiet engine with excellent emissions and economy. Its should also be fun to drive. One of the things I enjoy with my M-Jet is putting your foot down in 3rd or 4th and it just shifts. Yes diesels can be fun. The 1.6 M-jet would be a good compromise between yours and your dads requirements. The T-Jet's on here I believe havnt quite been getting the mid 40's mpg claims. As I said you make your decision on driving them both.

Simple answer...

Test drive both.

The new 1.6 M-jet engine will be a good one. Quiet engine with excellent emissions and economy. Its should also be fun to drive. One of the things I enjoy with my M-Jet is putting your foot down in 3rd or 4th and it just shifts. Yes diesels can be fun. The 1.6 M-jet would be a good compromise between yours and your dads requirements. The T-Jet's on here I believe havnt quite been getting the mid 40's mpg claims. As I said you make your decision on driving them both.

I know what you mean, the 1.6 16V MJet looks like a great engine on paper.

The issue i have is finding a dealer near me that has either or both and will allow me to test drive (I'm only 18).

as long as you have your driving license you should be able to get a test drive fine. I never had any problems when i went test driving cars when i was 18.

I have a 1.3mj 6 speed after coming from a 1.6 16v petrol and previously coupe 20v turbo ....

I love my diesel engine. It has decent MPG and after having 5 petrol cars its been a really good buy.

As suggested you would need to test drive them to compare. But i can fully rate the diesel and fiat have come up trumps with their diesel engine.

After looking at a few websites etc I'm finding better and better deals on the petrol but not many at all on the diseasals. Considering it will only be doing around 10k a year I would have thought, I don't think the tax and fuel savings of the diesel would cover the extra on the initial price.

Finding brand new factory T-Jets for £10k now, whereas there doesn't seem to be anything below £12.5k on the diesels!

Back