Technical Guidance on potential engine rebuild

Currently reading:
Technical Guidance on potential engine rebuild

Mikeb3311

Hi all,

I posted a similar thread on Fiat Spider.com but I like hearing multiple perspectives and have had good guidance here (Thanks bugsymike if you see this 😉 )

My last post on this thread I was talking about aligning timing marks, but I have decided I may want to do some engine work as it was burning lots of oil when it last ran. I know I at least want to remove the head to see if valves bent because I'm paranoid I have bent the valves. It has not run in about 30 years so I have not compression tested it; I am in the process of getting it to run.

The oil leak is to my best knowledge going to be coming from the piston rings, but I am not sure. I have never rebuilt an engine before; from what I read the FIAT twin cam is pretty simple. Can anyone confirm or provide some insight onto the skill level of an engine rebuild? Any advice for a rebuild at all would be great!

If I were to do an engine rebuild, I think I would want to increase my CR. I have read about fitting older engine heads onto the 1995 cc engine but can anyone attest to this? I am also thinking about higher CR pistons but that seems like a whole other can of worms.

I think I will look at rebuilding my heads but aside from the oil leak, I do not really have a reason to rebuild my engine. I am just at a crossroad as this is probably the closest I'd be to removing the engine and I'm not looking to take everything off after putting it all back on.

TLDR
My engine burnt oil when it last ran and my valves may be bent but I am not sure. Is it worth my time to give it a refresh now or not?

Thanks guys!
Michael

If you have not rebuilt an engine before then whilst simple it is also complex depending on how deep the rebuild goes. To be done properly there are many accurate measurements that have to be made, tools (some special), etc. required.

What you will also need is the exact information for your engine.

Here is the sort of information you will require. This is for my Strada/Ritmo Abarth 130TC. Scroll down to Engine and Head info.

https://www.nick-bailey.co.uk/strada_abarth/strada_tech_specs.html

An experienced professional engine re builder will use loads of experience and knowledge but also requires some base data to go on. Base data simplifies things compared to a blind rebuild of an unknown/unfamiliar engine from scratch.

If you are looking to do what I would call a superficial engine rebuild (gaskets, some worn but standard components, e.g. valve replacement/lapping, stem seals, lapping, water pump, belt tensioner bearings, ... etc) then this is not too difficult.

A key decision for you will be how far and how deep you want to go and at what cost.

One initial step I would take is to check the price AND availability up all the possible things you may need. This will give you a rough minimum DIY cost. Then I would get a quote for a fully rebuilt engine (off the shelf or yours done).

You mention oil consumption. Another is oil loss. A common oil loss is the main crankshaft oil seal behind the flywheel. Whist a new seal often fixes this sometimes the groove worn in the crank end due to an old hardened rubber seal is too large. In these rare cases the grove has to be filled (welded) and then machined off.

Lastly I'm not familiar with the US Fiat 124 market for this type of work, spares, parts etc. but there will be people out there as the car was well popular in the US.

https://roadstersalon.com/build-process/

Back