Tuning Fiorino tuning

Currently reading:
Tuning Fiorino tuning

Sergei will have some company. The Fiorino is insured and booked in for M.O.T tomorrow afternoon so I can drive it home. ;)

I didn't realise that car no claims can't be transferred over to a van policy so instead of being £20 more than the 4x4 it's double. :rolleyes:

But at least I can pay by installments this time.

First drive, photo's and M.O.T report tomorrow. :D

Just about to set off. :)

This will either be brilliant or terrible. I have until four this afternoon to get the van home and ready for M.O.T and washed.

If there's nothing serious or maybe a couple of hours welding that will be okay. Parts I don't have or thanks to the insurance being twice what the Meercats said it would be no budget for parts and my Fantasia will take the test instead.

Brilliant or terrible?

The first drive was terrible, the van felt sluggish, boggy and had to flat tyres. As I set off to the nearest petrol station for air I realised I had been using third not first. That solved the sluggish bogginess and one the tyres were inflated the van felt like a completely different animal.

Thirty miles of brake testing to clean the crap off the discs and I need to adjust the handbrake a little, weld a couple of playing card sized patches on the sills and she's good for M.O.T in four hours time.

I'll change the battery over as it's dead and give the van a good valet so the guys aren't won't get covered in rat poo and moss.

I may even have my fingers crossed. ;)

The tyres are a little close to to the limit and a little side wall cracky and this...

aTfrDGPA.jpg

...hole was a clump of filler that needed extraction. I welded a foot long plate in place due to the amount of surface rust inside where the "B" pillar drain hole had been filled the whole section was full of water. Just as finished that bit O noticed some more that needed doing but it bucketed down with rain and welding was out of the question.

Once cleaned a few times she almost looks presentable...

g3JAArDp.jpg

...in a less mossy and not full of rat poo kind of way. ;)

M.O.T is happening now. The guys are a few miles away and I can't hear swearing so I'm optimistic.

M.O.T tester said:
I love it when you bring stuff for me to test. You're so anal about your welding.

Pass. :slayer:

Advisories on tyres and front brakes where she's been stood and one of the number plate bulbs needed changing. :worship:

Concerns about the front subframe and the floor underneath but I now have a year to find the parts and fix it. ;)

Congrats....!!
A lot of parts are still available at Fiat, because the Fiorino is still made today in Brazil....( although not in Diesel version..)
Aftermarket parts are just dead cheap....I ran my Fiorino Pick-Up for 10 years at very, very low maintenance costs....!!

Last edited:
If the front subframe has to come out it would be rude not to see what others fit. ;)

JTD 2.4 maybe.
skidmarks.gif

I did panic a bit. There's a choke lever in the glove box. "Choke? It's a Diesel!" But when cold it runs like a bag of coal in a tumble drier and smokes like the Pyramid Tent at Glastonbury. Gave it a thrash pre-test so it only smoke a load instead of crap load. It's raining again now due to the effects this had on the O-Zone Layer. ;)

In fact it is a sort of "choke".
It alters the timing of the fuel injection pump a little for easier starting, you have to use it at every cold start, year round.
Don't forget to push it back after a few moments.
On modern Diesel engines the timing is electronically controled...

Btw, what do you mean by "subframe" there's not such a thing on a Fiorino, as far as I'm aware of...

Last edited:
In fact it is a sort of "choke".
It alters the timing of the fuel injection pump a little for easier starting, you have to use it at every cold start, year round.
Don't forget to push it back after a few moments.
On modern Diesel engines the timing is electronically controled...

Btw, what do you mean by "subframe" there's not such a thing on a Fiorino, as far as I'm aware of...

I can't find the cable anywhere. The subframe was mentioned by the M.O.T tester. I'll have a look in the morning. ;)

Look closely at the fuel pump in front of the engine.
On the backside of the pump is a small lever that controls the advancing of the pump timing.
The cable should be attached to that small lever in a way, so you can operate it from inside the car at coldstart.

Look closely at the fuel pump in front of the engine.
On the backside of the pump is a small lever that controls the advancing of the pump timing.
The cable should be attached to that small lever in a way, so you can operate it from inside the car at coldstart.

Found it okay didn't make much difference to be honest. The cable has snapped at the handle and I pulled the stub out with a pair of pliers. It went from a bag of coal in a cement mixer to a bag of gravel in a cement mixer.

I have been googling all sorts of names to try and find a replacement cable, 1.7D advance cable, fuel pump advance cable, cold start cable, cold start actuator cable, fuel pump cable, fuel pump cold start cable, fuel pump choke cable and so on for about six hours. Either the part does not exist of it has a stupid name.

Oh and the choke cable for my Panda is about half a meter too short. If I can't find the right part by the end of the day I'll have to order a universal kit car cable instead.

So finally cleanish and in daylight so here're a few photo's.

QdHv5l5W.jpg

GgBzqfhY.jpg

u7wPcY0s.jpg

For what the van owes me it's not that bad looking, massive load space but as you'd expect there are a few niggles.

I thought this was a nice touch...

cMhkjkG8.jpg

...a nice waterproof cover for the drivers door lock? No it's a rubber grommet from something else because there is no drivers door lock. I'll swap the drivers and passengers door handles and Q-Bond the seal in place. ;)

Snapped choke cable...

lviMw5Sj.jpg

...that's a manual fuel pump advance for cold starting...

XB6x8oNc.jpg

...yet nameless and part numberless. :bang:

If the universal choke cable doesn't work I'll have to use a linear actuator and switch.

The strap is missing...

W5Ic1ZEA.jpg

...from the passenger rear door so I have a nice crease...

M3RCnSQO.jpg

...to go with all the age related dents and rust patches. ;)

Back