Technical Checking oil

Currently reading:
Technical Checking oil

Personally, I don't like taking a reading when the engine's warm as you can pick up residue splashed oil returning to the sump which could provide a dangerously false reading.

On a cold engine (with ALL the oil in the sump) if you don't pickup any oil on the dipstick then you've got a big problem :eek:

I wish I understood the logic of the dipstick. How can one side show oil and the other not? It really doesn't make any sense, does it.

So the process should be:

1) Warm up engine
2) Stop engine
3) Wait 15 mins
4) Remove dipstick
5) Clean dipstick
6) Replace dipstick
7) Remove dipstick
8) Check lowest level shown on dipstick
9) Top up as necessary

Agree? Disagree? :D

I wish I understood the logic of the dipstick. How can one side show oil and the other not? It really doesn't make any sense, does it.

So the process should be:

1) Warm up engine
2) Stop engine
3) Wait 15 mins
4) Remove dipstick
5) Clean dipstick
6) Replace dipstick
7) Remove dipstick
8) Check lowest level shown on dipstick
9) Top up as necessary

Agree? Disagree? :D
Totally agree Greggers (y)

Crazy as it sounds I can only assume, in Dans case, the dipstick actually twists up out of the way and never makes contact with the oil :chin:

Sounds completely insane to me though :confused:

Totally agree Greggers (y)

Crazy as it sounds I can only assume, in Dans case, the dipstick actually twists up out of the way and never makes contact with the oil :chin:

Sounds completely insane to me though :confused:

Mine does exactly the same though when you try measuring the oil when cold. I just seems like a trait of the 2.4, I think :(

It's almost like the dipstick goes into the sump at an angle. I think I might try putting the dipstick into the pipe at different angles and what results I get...

dan, your dip stick could be dry on one side as that maybe making contact with the pipe on its way up and cleaning it off, thats why they are indented at the reading point, the inside face cannot be cleaned off on a pipe
If the dipstick IS intended to be read on only one side then that, of course, is the side you should read. Can't comment on the Abarth but the JTD dipstick can be read on either side.

Otherwise, it's the lower reading that counts. Assuming you clean it properly before inserting then it's still possible for oil in the pipe to contaminate it and create a false (high) reading. However the dipstick scraping on the side of tube (or other unknown obstacle) is very unlikely to remove the oil as well as it was cleaned so the true level should still be visible.

Remember, it's the low reading which is likely to be correct and not the other way around.

Personally, I don't like taking a reading when the engine's warm as you can pick up residue splashed oil returning to the sump which could provide a dangerously false reading.

On a cold engine (with ALL the oil in the sump) if you don't pickup any oil on the dipstick then you've got a big problem :eek:
My 02 1.2 stilo show oil well above the flat surface of dipstick on both sides hot or cold

dip stick shows oil well up its length hot or cold wven when wiped clean

Do it 1st thing in the morning when its cold. take dip stick out then clean it. Reinsert for a 10 secs then take your reading. If its above the top markings you may need to drain a little from the sump.

Do it 1st thing in the morning when its cold. take dip stick out then clean it. Reinsert for a 10 secs then take your reading. If its above the top markings you may need to drain a little from the sump.

Wrong. Should be read once its been sitting a while, not just after starting the engine and turning it off.

To be fair to rambo, that's not what he said. He said do it after settling overnight...which sounds like good advice to me.

Yep I was speed reading, Rambo ignore my last post, you are indeed correct. I thought you had said start the engine for 10sec and then take the reading. Me bad :eek:

Not sure about this waiting lark. I find 5 minutes after switch off is more than long enough to give an accurate reading. The main thing to watch for is that a new oil filter has loaded itself with oil after running the engine for a few minutes. You then re check the level and top up. Forgetting this could leave you with too little oil in the sump.

filters will only take about 500ml ish youll find theres 2 different capacities for filling with and without filter change... If the engine is at running temp, 5 mins is more than ample for all that lovely hot oil to dribble back into the sump. If u check it and top it up after this 5 mins then leave it over night it might rise as the 2.4 boys report but it will only be 'overfilled' for a split second after starting.

If you put too much oil in youll only be able to turn the engine over once then it'll stop abruptly as the crank hits the oil. (at the speeds the crank spins if it hits oil its like youve put a slab of granite below it) ill let your over active minds do the rest but believe me its not pretty!

Back