Technical Check engine light constantly on

Currently reading:
Technical Check engine light constantly on

Tashaa1397

Recently purchased a Fiat Grande Punto 59 plate, unable to get any help from the selling as no warranty came with the car as it wasn't an expensive purchase. With what I can work out the car had been sat for a couple of years there's mot history missing for 2020, 2022 and 2023.
On Saturday I changed the spark plugs and coil pack and the engine hasn't had any issues, until today a constant check engine light came on. I've check the oil and all looks okay with no white stuff in there. Any help on what to do next would be greatly appreciated

Update; I've taken the car to have the code read and have been told it something to do with an alternator sensor

Model
Fiat Grande Punto 1.4 petrol
Year
Mileage
Last edited:
Sounds to me like you’ve either misheard what they’ve told you or the garage are fobbing you off as to me “alternator sensor” makes no sense (every days a school day though so I could be wrong). If you ask the person that code read the car to tell you the code and post it on here then i’m sure someone will be able to help you 🙂

Sounds to me like you’ve either misheard what they’ve told you or the garage are fobbing you off as to me “alternator sensor” makes no sense (every days a school day though so I could be wrong). If you ask the person that code read the car to tell you the code and post it on here then i’m sure someone will be able to help you 🙂
I was thinking the exact same thing, could it possibly be an lambda sensor? As other post on here have said it could be that. Thank you, I'll get the code off them tomorrow in hopes of getting some answers on where to start 🙃

I was thinking the exact same thing, could it possibly be an lambda sensor? As other post on here have said it could be that. Thank you, I'll get the code off them tomorrow in hopes of getting some answers on where to start 🙃
Yes Lambda sensor sounds much more feasible. See if you can get the code and take it from there

I definitely will, thank you. Hopefully know more tomorrow
Engine Management Light could be anything. Need the specific code to know more.
Are there any symptoms?
Why were the plugs and coil pack changed?
So I've spoken to the person that took the car for me to the garage as I was unable to, apparently the code was a heater circuit. I did have the heater motor out on Saturday as there was leaves coming out of the air vents to find that the motor was full of leaves but after returning the motor back to the car it didn't work until I kicked under the passenger footwell. Could this throw up a code?
They were changed because it'd been sat for a few years without being driven, they definitely needed doing as all of them were rusted

I definitely will, thank you. Hopefully know more tomorrow

So I've spoken to the person that took the car for me to the garage as I was unable to, apparently the code was a heater circuit. I did have the heater motor out on Saturday as there was leaves coming out of the air vents to find that the motor was full of leaves but after returning the motor back to the car it didn't work until I kicked under the passenger footwell. Could this throw up a code?
They were changed because it'd been sat for a few years without being driven, they definitely needed doing as all of them were rusted
P0011 is the code that is showing up on the car

Hmm possibly a result of neglect if oil was low or very old. Do these threads help?

Hmm possibly a result of neglect if oil was low or very old. Do these threads help?
Thank you, I will read through those threads. The car had a recent service just before I bought it

High as in up to level, or high as in overfilled?
No ideas on the petrol smell sorry.
I think I would start here:
As you've already found out this fault refers to cam timing. My guess would be the solenoid which controls oil flow to the variator pulley. Pull the solenoid and check for contamination. A simple clean up may sort it. On my boy's Astra we were able to "drive" the solenoid with a couple of jumper wires from the battery - it should cycle with a positive loud click and you can see the plunger moving. This is just another reason why regular oil and filter changes are so important on modern engines - the solenoid filter screens are very fine and don't like dirt. The correct spec engine oil helps a great deal too!

Update; we've had to completely stop driving the car as the engine is full of so much fuel that the oil is thin. The P0011 code was on the car due to the high oil levels or in this case oil and petrol mixture levels 🤦‍♀️ got a mechanic coming out on Monday to do a compression test. I'm hoping for it to be the injectors if not I've been completely ripped off and I'll be taking the car straight back.

Back