Technical Catch can installed.

Currently reading:
Technical Catch can installed.

realecoworldunreal

I done installation in very big rush, just before my holidays across Europe so that's the reason why on 3rd photo it's just a bottle rather than proper bottle. But it does work, sealed so no issue in here šŸ¤£

I really wanted to make this installation before my trip as just done engine oil flush as well. I'm very curious how much crap it will catch if any on such long run. Installed top of the range catch can which is MANN as I was concerned about any bad pressure.

Attachments

• 2024-05-10-20-11-45-620.jpg
    2024-05-10-20-11-45-620.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 30
  • 2024-05-10-20-19-41-860.jpg
    2024-05-10-20-19-41-860.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 90
  • 2024-05-10-20-08-41-153.jpg
    2024-05-10-20-08-41-153.jpg
    727.9 KB · Views: 13
I done installation in very big rush, just before my holidays across Europe so that's the reason why on 3rd photo it's just a bottle rather than proper bottle. But it does work, sealed so no issue in here šŸ¤£

I really wanted to make this installation before my trip as just done engine oil flush as well. I'm very curious how much crap it will catch if any on such long run. Installed top of the range catch can which is MANN as I was concerned about any bad pressure.
If it is mainly for condensation/milky sludge in oil filler cap etc. Sometimes seen as water vapour when engine running and filler cap undone when engine warm, my personal belief is it is worse for cars doing short journeys so oil never reaches correct running temperature.
We used to get it a lot on customers cars in the early 1970s with the thicker oils etc. you would remove the rocker cover box and have to scrap the creamy "mayonnaise" out before doing the valve clearances in a service:(.
I used to fit a "Winter thermostat" 88 degrees instead of the then standard 82 degrees Centigrade on my vehicles and didn't get a problem.
If traveling across Europe in the Summer I wouldn't expect it to be much of a problem, it is more British damp Winters and short journeys in my opinion.
One of my daughters has just bought a 1.6 Golf diesel that I noticed when road testing/inspecting before purchase that there was water vapour coming from the filler cap, also even after a decent run the temp was only about one third up the gauge. I am hoping the thermostat that has arrived is the correct one and makes a difference (on that model there is several choices and prices of strange plastic housings containing a built in thermostat), unlike the old days when in general they were Smiths thermostats and the only difference was the operating temp.:)

My experience is only as far as 90s, but even if, I wish to have today older thermostat constructions which were easier to replace rather than whole body.
In Panda 1.3 I took it apart and I was able to replace just thermostat unit in the plastic body IF anyone would be selling separate part.

Yes I do from time to time short distances, to work and back. I have two cars, 500L and Panda, so mainly Panda is for work and 500L for holidays only, but, having car parked up for several months is not good enough so I use it to get to work from time to time. My idea of catch can came last week when I had some spare time to sort small smell of oil/diesel in the cab while engine was running. I was worried if breather system was clogged but tested system and not found any issue. I found turbo entry pipe a bit wet'ish, so I understood that greasy stuff comes from breather pipe which is connected near there. Thinking about turbo, throttle, inlet I decided to go for catch can. I never had diesel or any car with turbo before. I cleaned air pipe perfectly, fitted catch can, so I'll see if in few months time pipe will be still clean or dirty.

In between I found diesel/oil fumes smell issue: after fitting catch can I went under car to inspect pack side of engine, to look for breather pipe there. I found pipe badly cracked, tiny breather pipe, back of the engine, hardly seen, right above the sump pan. I have sump pan on my list to replace because is wet, but now I'm unsure because above sump pan this breather pipe was in absolutely disgusting and wet state with three holes in it. Replaced pipe and I'll do few thousands miles and I'll have a look how it looks like then. To me it looks like this system with breather separator is emitting loads of fumes.
Exactly as you said, water vapor goes on top (to turbo), while oil is separated and goes (should) back to sump pan. Well, it goes now after fixing pipe.

Have a good trip on your European jaunt, last time i drove around Europe was in the late 1970s and the first of my two ex wives was on the dual passport.;)
Never had enough money since them, to have a holiday.:(

Back