Automotive Confessions

Currently reading:
Automotive Confessions

I'll let a flat 4 off especially on a beetle as the exhaust comes out either side of the block. MG is a sports car of sorts again more forgivable, however a boggo in line 4 has no good reason for twin pipes..

My new Punto came with a twin pipe thingy:
2016-03-19_12_11_26.jpg

I feel like I should change it but whoever installed thought it was a great idea to cut the bumper too :(

2016-03-19_12_11_26.jpg

I feel like I should change it but whoever installed thought it was a great idea to cut the bumper too :(

Tbf aftermarket you can do what you want it's your car and it's your choice but if the car had something like this fitted by the factory to an otherwise totally inoffensive and unsporting car it's just weird.

31crc9qCQBL.jpg

Then there's the manufacturers who seem to think the old pan pipe set up from a barried saxo is actually a good idea...

Last edited:
*snip*

whoa that's a bad bumper mod! ?? admittedly I zoomed right in, so it isn't glaringly obvious.

Check your local scrappy to see if they have a mk2 bumper, spray it and get a stock exhaust fitted!

Sent from my iPhone using FIAT Forum

On this subject I think modern exhausts take the Mick anyway. The new equivalent of my current car comes with a twin branch system as standard...it has 120bhp. It used to be twin pipes meant it was a fast car, 4 was insanity in car form now it's just a one upmanship exercise. I'd give the RS6 a pass on account of the power out put but 2 or 4 on anything ordinary is just willy waving and when you get those pretend chrome finishers where the exhaust comes out elsewhere they really need to go away...

Yeah, I totally get what you're saying.

Tbh, I've got a scatty chrome tip. It's literally polished steel tubing cut and welded together. Nothing like a botch job. Does look good though!

Yeah, I totally get what you're saying.

Tbh, I've got a scatty chrome tip. It's literally polished steel tubing cut and welded together. Nothing like a botch job. Does look good though!

As I've said its more OTT or fake manufacturer efforts that I find a bit meh..

Although in the spirit of full disclosure the 1.6 fire spitting 105bhp Mazda totally needs the 3 inch pipe and chrome finisher it gets as standard. It's not like at low speeds it sounds hilarious due to no back pressure...

My neighbour had a Brera. Looks OK-ish but I don't really see the point of it especially as it's a diesel. And on the subject of exhuasts his has four exahusts on a 1.9 diesel and when you look closer two (maybe three) of them are not real!

The brera was ruined between concept and production. It was originally a RWD v8 with classic sports car proportion. Somehow the magic didn't quite the survive being wedged onto a fwd hatchback chassis and fitted with a tractor engine, who would have been able to predict that?

alfa_romeo_brera_concept-red-manu-02_05.jpg

My neighbour had a Brera. Looks OK-ish but I don't really see the point of it especially as it's a diesel. And on the subject of exhuasts his has four exahusts on a 1.9 diesel and when you look closer two (maybe three) of them are not real!

His must be a really late model Brera? From what I understand, the 2.0 JTDs are seriously rare! And in all fairness, it's no different in principal to the 3 Series coupes: the main difference being that Alfa Romeo chose not to call the Brera a 159 Coupe, whereas until recently, the 3 Series coupe was named as such.

The brera was ruined between concept and production. It was originally a RWD v8 with classic sports car proportion. Somehow the magic didn't quite the survive being wedged onto a fwd hatchback chassis and fitted with a tractor engine, who would have been able to predict that?

alfa_romeo_brera_concept-red-manu-02_05.jpg

I must admit, I actually prefer the production version. I completely agree with you on the diseasel engine though: my mates' Brera has the 200bhp 2.4 JTD engine, and it sounds quite similar to the Volvo V70 D5 that my grandad used to have. Completely wrong for such a swoopy looking car to sound like that!

His must be a really late model Brera? From what I understand, the 2.0 JTDs are seriously rare! And in all fairness, it's no different in principal to the 3 Series coupes: the main difference being that Alfa Romeo chose not to call the Brera a 159 Coupe, whereas until recently, the 3 Series coupe was named as such.

Because the Brera isn't a coupé where as the 3 series coupè is a coupé

Not so much a confession more an apology.

I am sorry I go on about the misuse of silicone on various cars. It is the bodgers tool of choice and a lot of what I have to do with my projects, repairs and restorations is correcting others mistakes.

Sometimes you can look at a car and just know it has more silicone than the cast of Babe Station but on a 150+ mph Fiat Coupe turbo? That is beyond ridiculous bordering on criminal negligent.

Not so much a confession more an apology.

I am sorry I go on about the misuse of silicone on various cars. It is the bodgers tool of choice and a lot of what I have to do with my projects, repairs and restorations is correcting others mistakes.

Sometimes you can look at a car and just know it has more silicone than the cast of Babe Station but on a 150+ mph Fiat Coupe turbo? That is beyond ridiculous bordering on criminal negligent.

Criminal Negligence! Stupid phone. :bang:

Silly me for not proof reading or noticing while the "edit post" window was open. ;)

On the OT: I confess that I like my Renault Twingo more than my previous Fiats (500 and GPA). Its way more practical, clever and, although I sometimes miss the grunt of GPA, nicer to drive. Not to mention cheaper and more economical to run... Not a popular confession, I think...

Also, I confess that, although I hate driving it, my husbands' Volvo XC90 does serve its purpose (has 7 seats) when we take the grandparents with us. Otherwise we would have to take 2 cars and that is not economical or environmentally friendly. Not a popular confession either...

On the OT: I confess that I like my Renault Twingo more than my previous Fiats (500 and GPA). Its way more practical, clever and, although I sometimes miss the grunt of GPA, nicer to drive. Not to mention cheaper and more economical to run... Not a popular confession, I think...

Also, I confess that, although I hate driving it, my husbands' Volvo XC90 does serve its purpose (has 7 seats) when we take the grandparents with us. Otherwise we would have to take 2 cars and that is not economical or environmentally friendly. Not a popular confession either...

Booooooooooo!! :p

I find driving on the continent is far easier and more relaxed than driving on UK roads, even with being on a different side of the road I could name probably a dozen reasons or more why it's better

I find driving on the continent is far easier and more relaxed than driving on UK roads, even with being on a different side of the road I could name probably a dozen reasons or more why it's better

You should try the motorways and 'R' roads in the Irish republic, far less congested and more relaxing than anywhere else i've driven.

I saw a brand new Focus RS today. I loved the Mk1 and Mk2 RS', and still think they're impressive motors.

But this one - it just didn't wow me the same way. It didn't have the same flair, or character. I must confess I much prefer the new Type R, with its big lary wing.

Back