General Another Orange Grande Punto

Currently reading:
General Another Orange Grande Punto

Futures

Picked up this beauty last Monday and ever since getting it this forum has been an absolute saviour for me so thought I'd drop in and introduce my car!

1.9 diesel multijet sporting (think that's the right way around?)

Been pretty good to drive so far! Had to get new brake disks and pads on the front, the glovebox handle snapped off first time I tried to open it and I've had to do some work on the striker plates on the doors to stop the squeaking and I think I need a new egr valve but apart from that it's all good!

I'm hoping to debadge the front and fit Abarth lights. I'm still deliberating over whether I should get black alloys or not... Any opinions?

Attachments

• 219667_10151012241459891_617729162_o.jpg
    219667_10151012241459891_617729162_o.jpg
    383.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 417483_10151012243724891_836968502_n.jpg
    417483_10151012243724891_836968502_n.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 432046_10151012243149891_1275483139_n.jpg
    432046_10151012243149891_1275483139_n.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 31
I would debadge the front grill. Such a simple And effective mod. Buy the grill, paint it whatever colour you want and then push it in to place, Changes the whole look of the car and is reversible in seconds (just pop your old grill back in). And if you do it black (which of course you will) it would definately look good with the rest if the trimmings. And would set you up very nicely for black alloys. It would also match your sun roof. And the abarth lights look good on any grande so if you can afford it then its a no brainer. So in my opinion? Yes do everything!

Oh and good choice with a Grande ;) welcome to the club!

Last edited:
I'm getting the de badged front grill next week, gonna spray it black and then put some black vinyl on the numberplate area and possibly re-do the side columns at the same time!
I'm still not sure about black alloys on it though, gonna take a long time to decide on that one!

Only downside to the car is that even after taking off the stiker plates, using some copper and spray grease to lubricate the moving nut inside didn't cure it, putting electrical tape on the striker plate didn't cure it.. starting to think it might be the locking mechanism itself!

I'm getting the de badged front grill next week, gonna spray it black and then put some black vinyl on the numberplate area and possibly re-do the side columns at the same time!
I'm still not sure about black alloys on it though, gonna take a long time to decide on that one!

Only downside to the car is that even after taking off the stiker plates, using some copper and spray grease to lubricate the moving nut inside didn't cure it, putting electrical tape on the striker plate didn't cure it.. starting to think it might be the locking mechanism itself!

Well your removing options of what it could be. Not sure about replacing the locking mechanism though. So I can't help with that. in regard to the black alloys I was in the same boat as you. Wanted the stealth look on mine (all black) but I decided against it and got silver ones instead. Honestly you can't go wrong with silver. But you can see how black would look nice though. I like the look of the vinyl in the front. So simple yet so effective especially with the de-badged grill it's going to look very tidy. Oh and and the vinyl on the door strip will look brill.

Well your removing options of what it could be. Not sure about replacing the locking mechanism though. So I can't help with that. in regard to the black alloys I was in the same boat as you. Wanted the stealth look on mine (all black) but I decided against it and got silver ones instead. Honestly you can't go wrong with silver. But you can see how black would look nice though. I like the look of the vinyl in the front. So simple yet so effective especially with the de-badged grill it's going to look very tidy. Oh and and the vinyl on the door strip will look brill.

I remember seeing somewhere that just changing the striker plate can make a difference so I'll have a look at it when I get back from holiday. The vinyl on the door is a just a replacement, there's some already on there but it's all scratched up and starting to peel off. It's one of those bits that no-one else notices but you always seem to pick up on :yuck:
Your car's a beaut mate! the grill really tops it off for me. How do you find it goes for a 1.2?

I remember seeing somewhere that just changing the striker plate can make a difference so I'll have a look at it when I get back from holiday. The vinyl on the door is a just a replacement, there's some already on there but it's all scratched up and starting to peel off. It's one of those bits that no-one else notices but you always seem to pick up on :yuck:
Your car's a beaut mate! the grill really tops it off for me. How do you find it goes for a 1.2?

Yeh I notice the vinyl on mine looks like its peeling passenger side at the top. With mine being black I might just remove it anyway. And thank you :D I do love my car. And honestly it's not as weak as you would presume for a 1.2 I've never had any trouble getting anywhere in it. Even with a full amount of passengers. And I've also pitted it against a 1.1 C2 and I managed to beat it among other things including a 1.2 new shape corsa. Lol and a C2 is a Much smaller and lighter car with a record for being 'nippy'. I would absolutley love a bigger engine though. But when i weigh out the pros and cons it the best engine size for me at the moment. I'm a 22 year old bloke so insurance is a ****. Especially the area I'm from. Plus it's super efficient. And unfortunately it's not my only commitment as I live on my own also (private renting as well :/ lol) But I adore the look of the car and so I just had to have a Punto. I also think the sound it makes for a 1.2 is beautiful. And whenever anyone is in the car they always say its quicker and sounds bigger than a 1.2. How do you find the 1.9? I bet it pulls like a tractor. Especially being diesel.

Yeh I notice the vinyl on mine looks like its peeling passenger side at the top. With mine being black I might just remove it anyway. And thank you :D I do love my car. And honestly it's not as weak as you would presume for a 1.2 I've never had any trouble getting anywhere in it. Even with a full amount of passengers. And I've also pitted it against a 1.1 C2 and I managed to beat it among other things including a 1.2 new shape corsa. Lol and a C2 is a Much smaller and lighter car with a record for being 'nippy'. I would absolutley love a bigger engine though. But when i weigh out the pros and cons it the best engine size for me at the moment. I'm a 22 year old bloke so insurance is a ****. Especially the area I'm from. Plus it's super efficient. And unfortunately it's not my only commitment as I live on my own also (private renting as well :/ lol) But I adore the look of the car and so I just had to have a Punto. I also think the sound it makes for a 1.2 is beautiful. And whenever anyone is in the car they always say its quicker and sounds bigger than a 1.2. How do you find the 1.9? I bet it pulls like a tractor. Especially being diesel.

Have you tried a quote on a 1.9 at all? I'm only 20 so thought I was gonna get stung like hell but my premium only went up £200 a year from a 1.2. I'm still paying £1200pa but it's affordable for me right now. Living at home so no major outlays!
The 1.9 isn't a bad car, it's a massive improvement on what I had before! It can be a bit sluggish when you're moving off from traffic lights but as soon as the turbo kicks in it just flies. Only downside is the noise, but that's what you get when you drive a diesel.

Have you tried a quote on a 1.9 at all? I'm only 20 so thought I was gonna get stung like hell but my premium only went up £200 a year from a 1.2. I'm still paying £1200pa but it's affordable for me right now. Living at home so no major outlays!
The 1.9 isn't a bad car, it's a massive improvement on what I had before! It can be a bit sluggish when you're moving off from traffic lights but as soon as the turbo kicks in it just flies. Only downside is the noise, but that's what you get when you drive a diesel.

I got my 1.9Mjet at 18 and paid a bit less than 1200.

Good car to drive, plenty fun and more fun with a TMC tuning box. Second hand ones can be picked up for cheap.

I'm 22 and qoutes for me on a 1.9 were just over £1300 for a year, so its do-able. However, i couldn't find a 1.9 around me for sale at the time, and the pull of a new car + warranty was too great then. Regret it a tiny bit now, but i still love my GP.

With regards to yours, definitely get it de-badged. Did mine yesterday and i've seen the difference it makes on others cars and was still amazed at how much better mine looked in the flesh after doing it :p I'm in favour of you getting your current alloys done black. Orange GP's on black rims look smexy as hell IMO, you won't regret it. But it depends entirely on the look your going for.

Apologies for the late reply all, went to Boardmasters this weekend so spent the past day and a half sleeping!

Just ordered my de badged front grill for the car and I'm going to get the front vinyl and door vinyl's done professionally next week as I'm useless at anything remotely intricate. Took the badge off of the back today as well, not sure if I'm keen on it atm.

I have the exact same car with the exact same.problems haha!! defo black wheels i went graphite grey looks ok but regretting not getting black!

as for door locks its a common fault on all grandes and should have been recalled, mine wasnt :(

I have the exact same car with the exact same.problems haha!! defo black wheels i went graphite grey looks ok but regretting not getting black!

as for door locks its a common fault on all grandes and should have been recalled, mine wasnt :(

I'm gonna get them refurbed in black. Gonna have to wait a few months for that though! I think I'm gonna get the door locks sorted out, it's driving me mad. I've always got to have music on to block out the constant squeak.

Anyone know where to get some good vinyl too? I'm looking to put some behind the number plate and I'd like to do the bits on the outsides of the doors.

I've finally done some work on my car. I've taken a few pictures but they're not great.
I got myself some Heko wind deflectors, a badgeless grille and some ring xenon ultima's. I was reluctant to get a badgeless grille to begin with but after spending some time looking at others on here I took the leap and got it and haven't regretted it since.
Next job is to get some vinyl behind the number plate and paint the wing mirror covers. Alloys will be the next job after that!

I've finally done some work on my car. I've taken a few pictures but they're not great.
I got myself some Heko wind deflectors, a badgeless grille and some ring xenon ultima's. I was reluctant to get a badgeless grille to begin with but after spending some time looking at others on here I took the leap and got it and haven't regretted it since.
Next job is to get some vinyl behind the number plate and paint the wing mirror covers. Alloys will be the next job after that!

Hold on. You got them results just from putting in some RING Xenon Ultima's in? Dam why did I get the OSRAM's :mad: Is that picture with the main beam on?

Nice car tho (y)

Hold on. You got them results just from putting in some RING Xenon Ultima's in? Dam why did I get the OSRAM's :mad: Is that picture with the main beam on?

Nice car tho (y)

I did indeed mate. That's just on dipped beam! The main beam is extraordinary when you're doing down some country roads late at night!
I spent quite a while working out whether to get osrams or the ring's but the reviews for a pair of nightbreakers didn't stack up for me =/

Back