General 500c Rear 3rd Brake light

Currently reading:
General 500c Rear 3rd Brake light

JonoM

Hi,

New member hear so assume this has been posted in the past, so apologise in advance.

Can anyone recommend where to buy a rear 3rd break light for a 500C(conv).

Are there any after market, pattern part replacements?

Found a couple for sale at over £250 which is crazy when there are loads of these types of lights for £15, that as far as I can tell don't fit!

Thanks
Jono

Hi and welcome to the forum.

It's been posted before that the sealed 3rd brake light unit on the 500C is crazy expensive, not available in the aftermarket and isn't designed to be repaired.

They often fail after about 5yrs or so; I wouldn't recommend getting a used part since it may well not work for very long.

There are some european sellers of purportedly OEM parts for less than £250, though they're still far from cheap. This, for example.

And I've just found this.

But some folks who are good at improvising repairs to the unrepairable have found workarounds; have a look at this post (and the thread it comes from)

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Thanks for replying so quickly.

Just purchased the one you just found, fingers crossed its OK, worth the risk!
Jono

If you can remove the light I bet its possible to repair but you'll need to know what you're doing or simply modify with some different leds
That's what lummers did in the post I linked to.

But it doesn't look trivial.

Might be worth experimenting with the scrap old one once the OP's got this repaired, then he'll have a spare.

Hey, thanks for all the replies. So I ordered a new light, awaiting delivery, in the meantime I checked the voltage to the cable, only getting 0.18, 2nd issue when you test it it blows the fuse, big panic the first time as the whole dial & indicators go, put a new fuse in & thankfully dash came back, tried measuring again, same issue, only 0.18 volts & the fuse blows again, so must be shorting somewhere?

Back