Technical Differences between mechanical and electrical speedometer drive C514 gearbox

Currently reading:
Technical Differences between mechanical and electrical speedometer drive C514 gearbox

TheRadeon

Hey everyone!
I'm currently trying to understand the differences between the speedo worm drives for the mechanical as well as the electrical speedo drive to get my 1242 16V/C514 swap TÜV ready.

Posting in the Cinquecento/Seicento section since I think that there were mechanical speedo drives for the C514 on these models! :)

In my C514 donor gearbox from a 176 Punto Sporting, there is a black speedo worm drive (left) with a cross-shaped inlay for the electric speedo pick-up - which has a slotted key, so can be fitted in two positions:
PXL_20240512_160412958_resize.jpgPXL_20240514_071406722_resize.jpg

In my Fiat Panda 141A, the yellowish/white speedo worm drive had a square inlay (see above right) and a speedometer cable in the Panda has square key ends on both sides.
PXL_20240514_071433241_resize.jpgPXL_20240514_071448478_resize.jpg

How exactly do the mechanical speedometer worm drive and the two ends of the speedometer cable look like on the Cinquecento/Seicento?

This ePer drawing, which suggests that it is the mechanical version, leads me to the following speedo worm drive part number: 7754073 (sorry for German eBay links!)
Unfortunately, the product pictures don't show whether I can expect the square or cross/slot-type key on the speedo worm drive.
I am now wondering whether the speedo worm drive 7754073 for the Cinquecento can be used with my Fiat Panda speedometer cable - i.e. whether it has the square inlay.

Or whether the Cinquecento speedometer cable would be compatible with my speedometer and Punto speedo worm drive - i.e. the gearbox side for the cross/slot type inlay, the speedometer side for the square mount plus the same mount.
These eBay product pictures suggest that the speedo side could be square and that the end piece itself should be compatible with the speedometer, unfortunately the gearbox side is not clearly visible anywhere.
PXL_20240514_071504577_resize.jpgPXL_20240514_071522698_resize.jpg

In other words, would I rather buy the 7754073 speedo worm drive and use it with my Panda speedo cable, or buy a new Cinquecento speedometer cable and use it with the black Punto speedo worm drive without the electric speedo pick-up and use it with my speedometer? Or will neither of the two options work :D

Thank you very very much for your help!!!
All the best from Germany

Fabian

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back