Technical X250 - add steering wheel controls

Currently reading:
Technical X250 - add steering wheel controls

memphis4

Hi all,

is it possible to add the steering wheel buttons or I should replace the whole steering wheel ?

Is there someone with experience with this retrofit?

Thanks in advance

Hello,

No need to replace the steering wheel, buttons can be added easily. The problem is the part which goes beneath, I don't know how is it called in English, it has to have sufficient number of cables to connect the buttons to the dash wiring. Apparently this one does :) I can't find it in the ePER as a separate part, perhaps it was available only with the main control unit (which controls the lights, wipers and signals). The options are 245 (Steering wheel controls) and 5BH (Steering wheel controls 2).

1714206294611.png

Hello,

No need to replace the steering wheel, buttons can be added easily. The problem is the part which goes beneath, I don't know how is it called in English, it has to have sufficient number of cables to connect the buttons to the dash wiring. Apparently this one does :) I can't find it in the ePER as a separate part, perhaps it was available only with the main control unit (which controls the lights, wipers and signals). The options are 245 (Steering wheel controls) and 5BH (Steering wheel controls 2).

View attachment 443923
Commonly reffered to as a "clock spring". I find that must not a great fan of steering wheel controls, as we have/had two vehicles on which they were fitted, and they are / were rarely used.
If the OP is only considering the modification in conjunction with cruise control, it should be possible to do this without resort to changing the clock spring assembly, by using a suitable cruise control "squib". I appreciate the OP may consider steering wheel controls a desireable addition.

Thanks @Communicator, I've just learned 2 new technical terms :D

Adding the cruise control do not require changing the whole 'squib' (in Poland we use the 'spider' name for it). Many x250s have even the wiring loom from the body computer to under the steering wheel, the lever comes with a socket, you just need to plug it in, lock the lever in place and then activate the function in MES. There are a couple of good tutorials on YouTube. I have links, if needed (and I've already posted them here).

If the loom is not present, you have to add it, but it is independent from the clock spring.

So, I was not entirely clear yesterday.

The cruise control lever comes with a socket. In most of the cases the corresponding wiring loom ends with a plug (brown, flat, 6 pins, depending on the version 2 to 5 might be used). So you have to connect this plug into the cruise control lever socket.

So, I was not entirely clear yesterday.

The cruise control lever comes with a socket. In most of the cases the corresponding wiring loom ends with a plug (brown, flat, 6 pins, depending on the version 2 to 5 might be used). So you have to connect this plug into the cruise control lever socket.
Thanks for the clarification. None of us are perfect, we just try to help.
I was puzzled by your reference to the BCM. The pinout for the Bosch EDC16C39 which is ECU for the 2.3 multijet shows the cruise control connections, B38 Resume, B56 Set/Inc, B77 On/Off, and B78 Set/Dec. Add in +12V to a common point, and 5 pins suffice. This is similar to the use by several forum members including myself, of an Alfa 147 cruise control stalk on x244 2.8jtd.

Attachments

• Fitted Cruise Control Squib.JPG
    Fitted Cruise Control Squib.JPG
    477.2 KB · Views: 1
It looks a little bit different in the x250 and x290. In the x290 a speed limiter function was also available on same lever (with an additionnal switch).

And yes, they used the same lever (but with slightly different mounting) on other models, including the Croma. And sometimes it's easier to get those and adapt the mounting :)

There was a 5 pin wiring for some versions, but can't remember now which ones.

:)

Thanks to all for useful info.

Perhaps, someone has also che code/part number of the ducato X250 lever?

Thanks to all for useful info.

Perhaps, someone has also che code/part number of the ducato X250 lever?

The cruise control lever? or the multifunction steering wheel buttons?

On the bottom of the forum banner there is an onlineePER link. You will find all part numbers there. You have to look with the VIN number or by model / year.

Back