Technical Thermostat broken again

Currently reading:
Technical Thermostat broken again

Hi all,

Back with the Panda that needs constant maintenance.

I had my thermostat replaced on my Eleganza in Dec 2020. Temp gauge wildly fluctuating then going to zero & ECU light coming on. Receipt for a branded replacement part (no Chinese crud).

Now in Oct 2021 the temperature gauge has started fluctuating & is moving between 1/2 & 1/3 on the temp gauge, especially downhill & top hose is hot.

A) Is this the thermostat breaking yet again or another issue?

B) Has anyone else's Panda got the same track record of seemingly eating thermostats?

Yesterday i change my thermostat. Probably he doesnt never change before..
RikkyF Maybe buy some good brand thermostat? In my opinion thermostat goona be ok for about 100Kkm.

Attachments

• IMG20211010130138_00.jpg
    IMG20211010130138_00.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG20211010125930_00.jpg
    IMG20211010125930_00.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Before change a have same issues on road, but you can change themperature sensor for shure.

Attachments

• IMG20211010060050_00.jpg
    IMG20211010060050_00.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 35
Hi all,

1: Temp gauge wildly fluctuating then going to zero & ECU light coming on.

2: between 1/2 & 1/3 on the temp gauge, especially downhill & top hose is hot.

3: Panda got the same track record of seemingly eating thermostats?

1: gauge going to zero isnt the normal symptoms of a thermostat, Although if you keep driving with the engine light on and the radiator fans blowing fast it possible ?

2: sounds like the thermostat classic symptoms

3: never had a replacement fail. done at least 3 in fiats. Just fit the cheapest for local motor factors

Last edited:
I have had some iffy thermostats on my cinquecento. Some seem to work better than others. I have tried various brands at different price ranges. I currently have a good one so fingers crossed it lasts ;)

I have had a temp sensor fail on my girlfriends 100hp after 6 months. It's part of the thermostat. Replaced it and its been ok since.

Sometimes you can be unlucky, even with decent brands

Are you sure its the thermostat and not the temperature sender, or even a dirty or lose connection?

I think Felicity, our old 1992 Panda Parade consumed 3 (or 4) over the 20 something years she was part of our family, one of which only lasted about 18 months. Failed thermostats do seem to be a quite frequent post subject on the forum. Both Becky and my boy's Punto are running happily with S4p's Original Birth branded thermostats just now, but neither have been in for over 2 years yet. Both come up to "normal" temp quickly and hold steady so I'm well pleased with them.

Apart from one make, which seems to be mentioned more than any other as being of poor quality, I'd be happy to fit one from a local source and it's a very "doable" task for a reasonably competent DIYer - maybe a good opportunity to do a coolant change too?

I think parts in general are made so cheap now you are lucky if you get a few years out of them unless you buy genuine parts. Even then, that is no guarantee.

I tried a birth thermostat and that was the one that had the temp sensor fail after 6 months, the actual stat seems ok 3 years later though. I also found that brand wasn't good on my cinquecento either. Currently got a Quinton hazel one.

I have changed 3x just in my cars

original OEM last at least 10 years

they have all failed the same way. The internal rubber seal has rotted away

I change the coolant as well. If its gone acidic (likely) if its not been changed in the last 5 year (also likely on an old car) then it will also eat the new internal seal

https://www.tetrosyl.com/brands/qh/

"launched in the 1940’s by its eponymous founder Sir Eric Quinton-Hazell"

"Tetrosyl Group acquired the QH brand in 2013 has included developing new packaging for the entire range of products"​
When I took up my first post as workshop foreman/manager in Reading Berks our local factor was heavily into Quinton Hazel stuff. It all seemed to be of very average quality except the clutch kits which seldom seemed to work well. Often they wouldn't free properly when the pedal was depressed which caused gear crunch. If it was marginal, and if you could convince the customer to persevere, they would usually settle down after about a week of daily use. I was never happy with this so, once I'd got my "feet under the desk" I started asking specifically for Borg and Beck to be supplied on all our orders - We never had a problem with them.

I understand though that B&G aren't "really" B&G as I knew them in those days now, today. But mostly, of late, it's been Valeo or Sachs which seem to be most common up here. I wonder what my factor will now supply by default following their very recent take over by NAPA?

When I took up my first post as workshop foreman/manager in Reading Berks our local factor was heavily into Quinton Hazel stuff. It all seemed to be of very average quality except the clutch kits which seldom seemed to work well. Often they wouldn't free properly when the pedal was depressed which caused gear crunch. If it was marginal, and if you could convince the customer to persevere, they would usually settle down after about a week of daily use. I was never happy with this so, once I'd got my "feet under the desk" I started asking specifically for Borg and Beck to be supplied on all our orders - We never had a problem with them.

I understand though that B&G aren't "really" B&G as I knew them in those days now, today. But mostly, of late, it's been Valeo or Sachs which seem to be most common up here. I wonder what my factor will now supply by default following their very recent take over by NAPA?

Similar experience here, QH was always adequate, rather than good, and used due to availability rather than preferred choice. Clutches were to be avoided. However, into the nineties, they got their act together, and upped the quality in all their own factories, and their clutches and water pumps became very good indeed. Sadly, for them, memories like ours restrcited sales somewhat. I had the opportunity to visit several of their own factories, along with the quality engineers of the company I worked for, and all was then as good as the OE ones I visited. (A visit to the AP clutches facility was disappointing, quality parts, well put together, then handled badly in packaging and despatch causing much damage.)

https://www.tetrosyl.com/brands/qh/

"launched in the 1940’s by its eponymous founder Sir Eric Quinton-Hazell"

"Tetrosyl Group acquired the QH brand in 2013 has included developing new packaging for the entire range of products"​

Management again. Lets redesign the packaging....... Someone with some brains might more usefully look at material quality, distribution, service, handling or general quality, but no management strike again and change the ****** box. Is it any wonder we have supply chain issues and inadequate production levels when all they can think of is the ***** box!

I worked in the refuse industry and had to attend a board meeting where they spent half the day arguing about what colour to paint the vehicles and how to get over the weeks of downtime while they were painted. Totally out of place I couldn't keep quiet and expressed a view out loud and with a substantial degree of sarcasm and distain. I finished by asking why they needed a colour on a refuse truck at huge cost. That was a success as a few weeks later they decided to go white as every vehicle type required could be sourced in white as no extra cost. Probably saved them an easy 100K a year. Fancy stickers easily fixed in bright colours and down time eliminated saving at least another 100K. Maybe a prestige outfit running high end service or products gets some benefit from all this logo stuff. Personally I cant see it makes a hoot of difference.

I think parts in general are made so cheap now you are lucky if you get a few years out of them unless you buy genuine parts. Even then, that is no guarantee.

I tried a birth thermostat and that was the one that had the temp sensor fail after 6 months, the actual stat seems ok 3 years later though. I also found that brand wasn't good on my cinquecento either. Currently got a Quinton hazel one.

The one I changed a few months back of the same supplier is showing signs of failing. I must check and get it replaced under warranty. I shall not entertain Original Birth parts in future.

I've never had problems with genuine Original Birth parts. Chinese rip offs are another matter of course.

It does seem to he hit and miss. I have had great birth parts and I have had shockingly bad Quinton hazel parts.

Probably all made in the same factory in China and rebranded anyway :(

Gone are the days of a brand being "quality" across the range of parts they do unfortunately.

Back