Technical Roof Box

Currently reading:
Technical Roof Box

BTF

Hello,

I just had a Baby and will need extra room for my monthly trip to my in-laws.

Searched around for roof boxes, but would like some advice please:

- whats the ideal volume?
- are branded ones that much better?
- do i need extra bars to attach to the ones already in the car?
- does it limit my travel speed? I cruise at 110/120 km/h for 3 hours.

Thank you :)

does it limit my travel speed? I cruise at 110/120 km/h for 3 hours
A roof box will make the car noisier, fuel economy will be worse, and the car will be less stable in a strong wind.

The relative effect will be greater the faster you go, so you might find it both more comfortable and more economical to cruise a little slower with a roof box fitted.

Hello,

I just had a Baby and will need extra room for my monthly trip to my in-laws.

Searched around for roof boxes, but would like some advice please:

No idea
No, yes, sometimes. As with everything quality varies, but not always just with price,
If your bars run front to back yes
Depends on brand most are tested to 70 or 80 mph

The car has a roof limit of 55 kg that's spread even over the 4 ,points

The roof box will also have a max weight normally between 50-75 kg
Thank you :)
Here in the UK you need to inform you insurance company

I don't know the law in Portugal, you may need bars and roof box that have some type of approval CE or TÜV maybe ?

A 200 litre bix should be fine. I have a Thule Atlantic which holds plenty of stuff. No noise. You have to match the fixation to the type of roof bar. Thule uses an easy to attach claw for wing or aero bars. T and U bar fixings are more fiddly. 120km/h is no problem.

how long is a piece of string? how much stuff to do you normally take to your inlaws and how much are you now going to need to take extra for the new baby ?
I managed trips to my inlaws in a golf cabriolet (no option for a roof box) a new baby and included in the car everything needed to clean and sterilize bottles, clothes, beding and a whole travel cot, push chair, car seat and all the stuff my wife and I needed, so realistically you could probably do it without a roof box if you only take what you need.
again this will depend on the brands some will be better than others, just get something from a reputable brand.
generally you will need bars going the width of the roof I do not know of any roof boxes that do not use cross bars, however there are roof Bags which do not need any sort of roof bars at all, so it does depend on what you get.
it will definitely affect your economy, the added wind resistance, higher center of gravity and higher cross section from the side will definitely change the way the car drives and so while someone might be happy to blast a long at 110-120kph you might find the car feels better and drives more safely at a lower speed, this will depend on again on the roof box you buy. I would also say some roof bars have recommended maximum speed that you travel with the bars/box attached so it will depend on what you decide to buy.

Back