Technical Replacing a clutch pedal

Currently reading:
Technical Replacing a clutch pedal

garywilliams2010

Hi all, I found myself in a bit of a mess a couple of days ago stuck on the fast lane of the M25 when my clutch pedal snapped where the cable connected to it at the top. I have brought a second hand one now but it has come as a complete unit with the brake pedal and cradle they both sit in.

Can anyone tell me if this is as simple as it looks or is it a job I should leave to a mechanic?

Cheers.

you dont say what model or year
they do come as one on a bar which is quite easy to replace just watch you dont lose the u clip that secures the cable,

Hiya, Sorry it is a 2001 1.9D I have unbolted the four nuts in the cab and the two above the master cylinder but I am having real trouble getting it all out. The top of the pedal which is where I am guessing the cable clips onto has snapped hence replacing.

Had the same problem! 02 1.9 tdi, middle of Dartmoor, down in a dip, NO signal, had to walk miles!
The clutch cable fits into a "parrots Beak" one end sheared off. The recovery crew,Highfield Garage, Spreyton, Crediton, Devon EX17 5AF sorted it out BUT! had to fashion a drift to aline the pedal with the fixing, only took a matter of minutes for them to work it out using a bolt of the right diameter.

Makes you think tho don' it? Who!!! would be crazy enough, to make the most used control!!! out of PLASTIC!!!!!

Hi,

Wanted to register because having read of a few peoples' experiences with snapped clutch pedals (2001 Ducato 10 1.9D), I decided to have a go at replacing my own recently snapped plastic (!) clutch pedal.

Absolute piece of cake...Here goes...

Tools required : Philips screwdriver for removing dash panel

1. Remove lower dash panel (2 screws under steering wheel, 1 bolt by door)
2. Remove clip from LH end of retaining bolt passing through pedals
3. Slide retaining bolt to the right until pedal comes free
4. Catch the spring as it pings out
5. Pull out old pedal
6. Locate new pedal and connect to cable (fiddly 5 mins)
7. Decide whether to bother replacing the spring!! (I Know!!)
8. Slide bolt back through pedals
9. Re-attach retaining clip

All that's left to do is replace the dash panel and drive away. Oh, and by the way, the Citroen part is a full tenner cheaper (and identical), part number 2127A8.

Hope this helps anyone tempted to give it a try. It's fiddly but not difficult...Time taken...20 mins.

Good luck and thanks!

Its made of plastic so it doesn't remove your feet at the ankle in a collision which is ex actly what happened my neighbour in a crash.

Phil the Newbie here,
When you say "Decide whether to bother replacing the spring!! (I Know!!)"
-
Well that's the bit I'm struggling with, how the hell does it go back in?
Can see an obvious grove for the straight end but can't see where the bent end goes.
-
So after 2hrs fiddling is it worth putting it back in or not?
-
Any assistance gratefully recived

my clutch pedal has snapped twice - i know keep a spare in the van, a set of mole grips (providing my wife hasnt removed them) and a screw driver, the spring has never been put back on - i tried and gave up

Hi,

Wanted to register because having read of a few peoples' experiences with snapped clutch pedals (2001 Ducato 10 1.9D), I decided to have a go at replacing my own recently snapped plastic (!) clutch pedal.

5. Pull out old pedal

All that's left to do is replace the dash panel and drive away. Oh, and by the way, the Citroen part is a full tenner cheaper (and identical), part number 2127A8.

Hope this helps anyone tempted to give it a try. It's fiddly but not difficult...Time taken...20 mins.

Good luck and thanks!
Hi, thanks for the info. However, I'm struggling to slide the shaft/bolt that the pedals sit on. I've removed the spring clips but the shaft is going now here! Did you use a drift or disconnect the brake pedal?
Thanks

Hi,

5. Pull out old pedal

Good luck and thanks!
I cnt get shaft to move to the right to remove peddle.got the same problem how did you get the shaft to slide pass the pedal

If touring abroad carry a clutch pedal as a spare as lhd pedals have a different off set than rhd models [ and they are not interchangeable [ not on my 2014 van ..!!] and Fiat Spain do not hold stock , you have to wait for VOR pedal to arrive from Turin which is around a week , and priced accordingly .

Back