General Punto Cabrio replacement roof

Currently reading:
General Punto Cabrio replacement roof

I was missing having a nippy little Fiat and so I picked up a 1999 Orange Punto convertible. Other than not having electric mirrors (my partner is shorter than me!) I am quite enjoying it. The roof however has seen better days and the rear window is a mess. Having looked around there are a number of options on Ebay from Germany and Holland or a couple of local (and much more pricey) options in the UK. The prices range from circa £250 - £600 and it is hard to see the quality in a few online pictures. I would welcome any recommendations.

It's not a very big market, so suppliers can charge basically whatever they want. I can't even remember seeing a single thread in the last 10 years on here asking about new roof replacements tbh so I'd be surprised if anyone else on here these days have ever done it :(

We had our roof replaced about 10 years ago and then it cost about £500. The firm was based in Norwich, but travelled to my house in Suffolk to do the work. The main difference in price between the UK and Germany is that the UK price usually includes fitting, whereas the German price is for supply only. I am not aware of any quality issues with the German hoods and suspect they may be the same hoods as used by some of the UK suppliers/fitters. The biggest issue I have identified with replacement hoods is that they all heat weld the window in place which means that if the window gets damaged, you cannot replace it on its own and have to replace the whole hood.

If you do manage to get a new roof, be very careful how you retract it. There is a design fault which means that the roof can fold incorrectly and cut the fabric on either side above the rear edge of the doors. There is a separate thread on here detailing the problem.

Back