Technical Engine Overheating

Currently reading:
Technical Engine Overheating

DanC203

Hi all,

I have a fiat punto grande (2006) and I have had a few issues with the engine overheating. Had replaced the thermostat previously which helped with the issues but I’m still burning through coolant without any leaks anywhere. Mechanic friend who hadn’t taken a look at it yet feels as though it may be the head gasket but I’ve done my own look at it and the only issue related is the engine overheating, disappearing coolant and the lack of hot air from heater. No coolant or water in oil, no white build up on oil cap, no white smoke coming out the back, no power loss in car and no engine gases coming out through coolant resevoir. Fan makes extremely loud noise for a few minutes after car is shut off as well.

Any suggestions on what it might be? Have a feeling it could be the water pump or something to do with radiator as I’ve seen a few similar issues on the website.

Thanks again.

Hello,

When small amounts of coolant get on the hot engine through a small leak it is very hard to find the source, as the coolant evaporates before leaving any spots on the ground :(

As you've replaced the thermostat, I'd check by the termostat first. It happens quite often that the parts are not installed correctly.

If you're 100% sure that the coolant and oil are not mixing in the engine and you can't see the leak, then it must be small.

How much coolant is the car loosing per day/week?

Last edited:
Hello,

When small amounts of coolant get on the hot engine through a small leak it is very hard to find the source, as the coolant evaporates before leaving any spots on the ground :(

As you've replaced the thermostat, I'd check by the termostat first. It happens quite often that the pieces are not installed correctly.

If you're 100% sure that the coolant and oil are not mixing in the engine, then it must be a small leak.

How much coolant is the car loosing per day/week?
Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Haven’t gotten much use out of the car as I’m a learner and I’ve only driven about 400km in the last 2 months. Had to top up the coolant with 2 1L bottles over the last two months so it’s been slow with the leakage.

Honestly could be an issue with the thermostat’s installation, as initially, it did help with the coolant loss but gradually went back to the same loss of coolant it had before it had been replaced.

Very old car (2006), so it could be anything.
But it must be:
- external leaks (radiator, heater matrix, pipes/hoses, water pump),
- internal (head gasket, small leak, hard to check at home if you're not a Pro),
- too much pressure, reservoir cap not working.

Your radiator fan is failing. Fix it before you do permanent damage to your engine.
I’ll pass on suggestion to my mechanic buddy, see if that’s the issue. I’ll reply with a video of the fan noise 5 minutes after the cars shut off, it is fairly rough sounding.

Back