500 ByDiesel

Currently reading:
500 ByDiesel

ReadyPlayerOne

Morning All!

Longtime lurker, first time newbie post :)

Bought the wife a Fiat500 byDiesel about 6 months ago, she loves everything about it and it’s ideal for her small commute to work and driving about town.

Got to admit it’s grown on me (I’m a Golf guy), and I’m now starting to investigate and work through some little issues to resolve for her.

Not looking for answers/help on this post but this is my todo/investigation list:

- Front fog lights not working (rear are fine)
- Air con not kicking in
- Tailgate switch stuck
- Blue & Me fail (standard I read)
- Engine Breather Hose replacement (on order)
- Central locking locks then unlocks randomly
- Engine ECU faulty due to coil pack leading to misfires. (Virgin replacement in order)
- Driver seatbelt not retracting
- Driver Floor Matt missing

The most random one last is ignition key barrel appears to be different from door handle and fuel cap.

Usually this list would scare/overwhelm people and they would ‘flip/sell’ and start again but I like a project and she deserves to be ‘saved’. I’m a competent guy, know when I’m getting out of my depth with mechanics and electrics and can use a multimeter and OBD2 scanner with ease

Looking forward to our journey :)

Hello
Tailgate switch, remove silver trim and dissemble clean rust off hinge pin
Blu and me just disconnect require proxi alignment after
AC might just need recharging or new condenser
Fog lights does the front tell tale come on?
Two keys suggest the ignition lock has been damaged at some point, but if you're replacing the ignition lock you'd have thought you'd get a lock kit, with the door and fuel cap?

Last edited:
Welcome Player One (and 2) 🙂

Any 10 year old 500.. especially a "Designer variant" will have seen owner abuse, often vandalism or theft too 😒

I'm newish to 500s.. but have had Pandas since they first used unleaded not bamboo

Half your list is standard neglected FIAT, 45K+ Mile spark plugs take out the Spark Driver in the ECU

Ignition: theft or a very cheap repair
(you can swap with the Airbag isolator barrel) 😉

Member @Baglady1990
will have great "been there.. " information with her love of the 500

My love for my car can sometimes be ….. a frustrating affair as can being an attention to detail… to perfection kind of animal 🤣 the things I’ve done on my car and most of it I’ve only had to do once …. Does not make one an expert… but: I can’t say there is much I won’t attempt on my car … I hate anyone else working on my car … recent events prove my point perfectly! My 500 by Gucci is my joy & an immense source of pride and although she’s getting on … and my milage is creeping up she’s been very good to me! Because.. I’m good to her ❤️

I see another Gucci has gone to the big scrappers in the sky….. just shows you what their interiors are going for 😑 a bit scary actually…. I’ve often imagined going to my car in the AM and finding my interior missing 🤣😑

Attachments

• IMG_5575.jpeg
    IMG_5575.jpeg
    465.6 KB · Views: 15
- Front fog lights not working (rear are fine) - Bulbs probably. Do you mean fog lights or DRLs?
- Air con not kicking in - Probably needs a new temperature sensor/thermostat
- Tailgate switch stuck - If the tailgate switch is solid, there is a little metal rod that sometimes moves, may just need moving back into position. You can take it apart. If not, replacement complete handle will set you back about £40
- Blue & Me fail (standard I read) - Very common. I repair them for £60
- Engine Breather Hose replacement (on order) - You know about his already
- Central locking locks then unlocks randomly - I had this recently, the interior door handle pivot point becomes stiff. Spray some WD40 in there, will most likely free it up. I changed the interior handle as I had a spare, but it took me two hours to figure out it was that.
- Engine ECU faulty due to coil pack leading to misfires. (Virgin replacement in order) - Should sort it
- Driver seatbelt not retracting - Remove the little black panel that pushes into the rear panel where the seatbelt disappeared into. Then pull belt right out and spray oodles of WD40 onto the mechanism, retract and pull out a few times, that should free it.
- Driver Floor Matt missing - buy a new one:)

The most random one last is ignition key barrel appears to be different from door handle and fuel cap. - clearly repaired on the cheap. You could get a locksmith to change the pins but sometimes it's easier just to get another lockset to give you a complete set. You can then just swap over the chip in your keys.

Back