Technical Bad experience with drum brake

Currently reading:
Technical Bad experience with drum brake

Otterjack

Yesterday I was exiting the highway and while slowing down the right rear wheels locks immediately under braking … moving the wheel by hand unlocked almost magically the brake, the pedal is spongy and only the front wheels work until the foot touches the floor … I have a bad feeling about this.

After a stop by my friendly parts dealer, I went to the box and found this :
58B5F34B-065E-4BD5-B9BE-4C31B27C62E3.jpeg

71000km (44000 miles), original parts ! Drums and pads in otherwise good shape.

Luckily I borrowed two complete rear brakes from my dealer friend, fitted them yesterday night, now I owe him some 100 euros and a beer 😉🍻

I feel lucky, it could have happened at highway speeds 😰

I usually check the rear brakes every time I change the front pads.
The car sat unused for around 6 months with the handbrake pulled (bad habit, should have used a wedge), I think the pad bonded with the drum in this forced stop time and when the two parts separated part of the pad tried to stick to the drum and the glue broke.

Already saw it happen, but this is the first time it happens to me, gave me quite a scare, the car turned to the right on its own. 😨

modern bonding agents that are used to glue the pads to the shoes is not as long lived as it used to be i know plenty of other brand vehicles with rear drums that suffer the same. best to replace the rear shoes every couple to 5 years no matter what the wear is like. (maybe manufacturers will go back to rivetted brake material at some point)

OEM Bosch do this at at about 10 years

Often the first signs is locking up in reverse

Back