General 500X oiler

Currently reading:
General 500X oiler

Zaphod

Bought a 2017 500X with just 22000 miles on it Oct. 14 2022 and signed on this forum shortly after trying to learn a little about this POS.
My wife loved the car from the start and still does but it has been a trial for me.
Right away I noticed the car was using oil and I was thinking about getting rid of it.

I have tinkered with older Fiats for about 40 years and put up with a lot of snide fiat jokes and learned not to be in a big hurry to get up to 60mph.
I read some critics saying the 500X is not very powerful but while it is not a dragster it seems to hold it's own.

Have done some more research and found out a lot of the 16-18 2.4 multiair's use oil.
Mine uses almost a quart every 500 miles.

After 5500 miles and 3.5 quarts of oil did some more online searching and found out the car is still under a factory recall.
Took it into a Fiat dealer and they changed the oil and tamper proof sealed up the drain plug, dip stick and filler cap and told me to come back after another 1500 miles for inspection and oil level check.
If all goes as I hope they will drop a new long block in the car.
Up till the start of this test the driving has been fairly straight roads and city driving.
So far, I am 560 miles into the test drive.
90% of it has been the twisty roads of the Ozark mountains giving the 9 speed auto a workout.

Other than the fact that it looks similar to every other car on the road and honks at me if I don't work the door locks right I have started to like the car.
It handles fairly well compared to some of the other cars I have owned and despite the short wheelbase, the ride is not bad on decent roads.
The beautiful spring weather with trees budding out and with my wife navigating and we are driving with no particular palace to go may have something to do with it.
If I can get the oil problem taken care of, I am going to keep the car.

Back