Technical Stilo handbrake

Currently reading:
Technical Stilo handbrake

patstanford

Has the Stilo any history of handbrake problems.

Parked on incline and unloaded car , locked and left the car at golf club, man approached 15 minutes later saying my car had just rolled down incline and collided with his vehicle ????

How does a handbrake unset itself after 15 minutes and the lever is still in the on position ??

Anyone heard of anything like it ???

Cant say i have heard anything about dubious handbrakes on the Stilo although did happen on my Mark 1 Golf, fortunately it was on my drive so only rolled into the garage door. how old is the car i would consider laying the blame with fiat!!

Did you leave the car in gear? you are supposed to - (any car - not just the Stilo). Sometimes the brakes can release a bit if they are very hot, then cool down. Never park your car and leave it neautral. Was there much damage?

My stilo has handbrake probs. One side holds better than the other. Another thing i'm getting looked at next wednesday!!

I had the same problem went shopping and parked car outside house unloaded car and went in house.20 minutes later theres a knock on my door saying my cars rolled 20 yards down the road into a wall
I just blamed myself for maybe not applying the handbrake but it seems there is a problem as somone posted the same thing about two months ago
I now always pull the handbrake right up
The joys of being a fiat owner?

Always leave the car in gear, never in neutral... It's a basic rule and it helps to avoid such a situation. I personally never put the handbrake on (only gear) unless I park on a slop.

As i live in hilly wales i dont have much option but to use the handbrake.
I know you should leave it in gear and turn the wheels into the kerb but you trust the handbrake to do its job

If the rear brakes are hot when you apply the handbrake there is the possibility that when the hot brakes cool they contract in size so the frictional grip of the pads onto the discs are reduced, so the brake will slip,so if you park up make sure the handbrake is firmly applied and leave it in gear.

Last edited:
Back