What's made you smile today?

Currently reading:
What's made you smile today?

Seven miles on the bicycle yesterday and almost no limp this morning. Heading in the right direction with the ankle. Mrs.Cheest's final radiation treatment is this morning and she is showing to be free of the Big C. Also the right direction.

1000012985.jpg

This one will never be allowed to borrow my car...the cackling gale of laughter as he crashed into a tree on purpose was a nice moment.

The 'new' panda is settleding in and I am so glad it seems to be 99% spot on. No rattles or squeaks and a nice smooth drive so I relieve myself of rebuilding Daffo! The cambelt and water pump was done for sale and its also had a basic service so we should be good for a year apart from the slack hand brake. The foot brake has a very good pedal with little free pedal travel, so Im suspecting its the cables that need fettling. Oneto look at ona sunny afternoon .At just 17K on the clock it drives pretty well like new the tyres are all getting a bit old and should probably be changed in the next couple of years but they have no indications of any kerbing or defects, and no cracking. The worst one has over 6mm of tread so this car has not beeen thrown about. I now need to find out if it has the hangers for the standard Panda back silencer or if I need to research where to get its enormous front mounted sliencer. Actually that is clearly a stainless body, but the short front centre section is looking quite scabby, so I need to be prepared.
Its suprised me how much improvement there was between the 14 model we already have and this 2016 one which comes with hill holder, ESP and traction control. Just as well I know about the duck bills bearing in mind the rain today. While the car and underbonnet have been superbly cleaned and teated, the duckbills have obviously never been cleaned before.

Now Im working hard to get my other daughter to buy the other 17K Panda locally. That is a lounge and even more felt like a new car, but is a 2013. Its now clear that the pre 17 cars are holding price better than the newer one with much higher road tax.

I was looking at our noo Panda today and noticed it doesn't have a back silencer box. There have been a couple of recentish posts from others so afflicted, but I never even gave it a thought before buying the car. My research shows that from 2/15 to 5/16 they were fitted with just a centre silencer, It may be the same as Twinair system, but Ive not found out yet. Its a bit of a whopper. The car has all the mounting points for a standard Panda system so Im breathing easier as the centre box is rare as hens teeth it seems, and also expensive. There doesnt seem to be any difference in the set up for emissions so I trust they are interchangeable. I now need to ask the dealer if there are any differences in injection or oxygen sensors etc.

I have obtained a spare wheel from our scrap yard which has now been cleaned up quite a lot and given a lick of yellow paint... per Daffo, for use as a space saver. It can have the last new 165/65 14 Conti I had on the shelf for Daffo providing it fits. Its ET44 and a 6" rim so not for other than emergency use. I will try it tomorrow and check everything has clearance. It may not be perfect but cannot be worse than a real space saver. I hope to be able to get hold of a proper matching wheel before too long. I already have a jack set. Just as well I neve gave it away as they seem to be around £55 on eBay now. Im still pleased with the purchase so smiling.

View attachment 445148

This one will never be allowed to borrow my car...the cackling gale of laughter as he crashed into a tree on purpose was a nice moment.
Thankfully ours is too little for these at the moment, he has to make do with a cozy coupe and his own legs for power, that said he still managed to drive over a flower bed

We got our camping trailer back yesterday.
XB6sYNGl.jpg

It's been out of commission since late September and at the dealer since November. It was also my first time backing it up with the new to me pick up. It took a couple of tries to get it right. Mrs.Cheest tries to help.

Thankfully ours is too little for these at the moment, he has to make do with a cozy coupe and his own legs for power, that said he still managed to drive over a flower bed
If you really want to know fear...put him in control of a small trawler while you're on the back.

At least the jeep comes with a panic button to shut it off before he puts it upside down.

Last edited:
I came back from being away on Wednesday as my sister got married yesterday & for the last 2 weeks the airbag light has been on with the fuel cut off unavailable & yesterday I had stern words with Luigi & told him if he didn't start behaving himself he'd have to go & with that the next time I started it up to leave my sister's wedding reception both of the lights on the dash disappeared 😂 & all is well for the time being, who says that cars don't have feelings 😂. Only thing to do now is I've noticed recently on cold start up there is quite a strong whiff of fuel which has got to be investigated

Last edited:
we chickened out on that one, he went on a boat the day before so we cancelled the little boats he can pilot himself, by the sounds of it, we made a good choice
I'm sure it's quite nice as long as your pilot isn't saying "we're going to crash" before swerving at other boats.

Also don't worry you've got a cord so if you fall out the boat will stop..

I wish my plants were that advanced. Stuff has only just strted to move. Everythings a month behind. As you say a fairly simple display, but usually very effective at giving a great blast of colour. Good stuff.
My wish was theircommand! All planted out and all a good size and growing like mad. 4 fold increase in 5 days.!

I came back from being away on Wednesday as my sister got married yesterday & for the last 2 weeks the airbag light has been on with the fuel cut off unavailable & yesterday I had stern words with Luigi & told him if he didn't start behaving himself he'd have to go & with that the next time I started it up to leave my sister's wedding reception both of the lights on the dash disappeared 😂 & all is well for the time being, who says that cars don't have feelings 😂. Only thing to do now is I've noticed recently on cold start up there is quite a strong whiff of fuel which has got to be investigated
Suspect evap purge valve and possibly cannister. But also check fuel rail and i jectors plus the breather pipes attacments. Glad telling him worked!. It failed with Daffo so hes gone!

Suspect evap purge valve and possibly cannister. But also check fuel rail and i jectors plus the breather pipes attacments. Glad telling him worked!. It failed with Daffo so hes gone!
Thanks Panda Nut 👍, I'll take a look at those things on the next free day I get, it's just on cold starting first thing in the morning, apart from that it's running normally & starting first time etc

Back