General Steering.

Currently reading:
General Steering.

MonkeyVsRobot

Hello everyone,
I passed my driving test about a month ago and as a present my mum bought me a fiat panda. It rocks and everyone know it but more to the point.....
The steering is incredibly light and even more so at speed (about 60mph it gets very dodgy) is this just a characteristic of the panda or could i have problem? The tracking and pressure seems fine but to be honest my knowledge about cars is stretched at that point.

Any help would be brilliant.
Cheers.

Alex. [8]

If you've got 135 width tyres (standard size on a basic panda) the steering is pretty light.
Just a thought though - over-inflated tyres make it even lighter...
What pressure in yours, and where was it measured??
Some of the forecourt guages are miles out.

Any other ideas, anyone?

Regards

John H

Yes, the steering is very light indeed. One thing, I did have two brand new tyres fitted some time ago, and the steering was so light I was very concerned. Those little rubber bits on new tyres affect the footprint ...

DO check the pressures as John suggests, using an accurate gauge. Electronic ones are not too expensive and are well worth it.

One other thing: the make of tyre can be a factor - tyre tread patterns can be different and for such a narrow tyre width the more rubber in contact with the road the better it will be ...

Something else - when you say "light" you don't mean loose do you? If that's the case then I'd get your balljoints checked. Although if the car has a recent MOT then that shouldn't be a problem ...

Welcome to Panda motoring - cheap'n'cheerful, low insurance costs, cheap to maintain and 50 mpg + if you are gentle on the gas pedal ...

BTW, how old is your Panda?

Steve
(I'm also on [email protected])

1989 Fiat Panda 1000CL "Rustwagen"
Electronic Distributor
Metamec copper brake pipes
Currently immobile with a knackered gearbox
Replacement 5-speed 'box and new QH clutch in garage ready to fit
and is likely to remain there for some time yet due to my EXTREME
LAZINESS (and it's wet out there - okay, so I'm a wimp) ...

I've always thought my Panda's steering was normal enough. But when I borrowed a Seicento Sporting for a day, I was alarmed at how light that was. Power-steering wasn't necessary, it was too light! [:0]

Paul

Cheers guys. I'll get the tire pressure checked as soon as i can. That seems like a logical solution. I have also noticed that the wheel sits probably about 5 mins anti clockwise even wehen the car is going directly forwards. I know the tracking is fine. Could this mean theres a proble with the ball joints? When you say loose what do you mean? It does respond faily well when you turn, there is a bit of give but no more than i would expect for an E reg. As you can tell i know next to nothing about cars. My grans probably knows more than me.

Alex [8]

Steering wheel offset when going straight is either kerbing damage, worn joints, or sloppy re-tracking/suspension work.
To get the wheel true they should clamp the wheel straight ahead, then adjust the track-rod end(s).
But it's a waste of time and money if there's play in _any_ of the joints.

The steering should be pin sharp - just the slightest wheel movement will have an effect.
Having said that though, bumpy and rutted roads, the UK norm, will tend to nudge you off course a bit.

Regards

John H

Back