Technical Smelly Ducato

Currently reading:
Technical Smelly Ducato

Hi Everyone and thank you in advance for any help offered.

We are away in our 2018 Ducato 2.3 twin EGR Euro 6 MH, this afternoon when leaving our over night stop in a few miles we started getting a rotten egg smell quite strongly in the cab, my first thought was battery overcharge but lots of investigating and sniffing can't see any evidence of it being battery smell, sits at 12.7v and 14v when engine running. Found on a google search that a failed DPF regen can also cause similar smell, any thoughts on how to confirm one or he other before we set off tomorrow for a 60 trip to next camp site please and if it's the DPF will it resolve itself or do I need to do anything?

Model
Ducato 2.3 multijet 2
Year
Mileage
The two battery voltages require some explanation. Do they represent starter, and habitation battery respectively? Perhaps you have smart alternator and B2B charger?

The two battery voltages require some explanation. Do they represent starter, and habitation battery respectively? Perhaps you have smart alternator and B2B charger?
they are engine stopped and running, I disconnected the 2 leisure batteries to rule them out, it's got a standard alternator not a smart one and when connected the leisure batteries are charged by a relay controlled by the 'electrolblock'

they are engine stopped and running, I disconnected the 2 leisure batteries to rule them out, it's got a standard alternator not a smart one and when connected the leisure batteries are charged by a relay controlled by the 'electrolblock'
Sorry I cannot help with the possibly failed DPF regen. My older 2.8jtd does not have a DPF, but general advice to promote/ assist a DPF regen is to drive in lower gear, so as to keep revs high and thus increase exhaust temperature.
I am tempted to remark that perhaps the best place to try to maintain the necessary conditions would be on the A75?

Found on a google search that a failed DPF regen can also cause similar smell, any thoughts on how to confirm one or he other before we set off tomorrow for a 60 trip to next camp site please and if it's the DPF will it resolve itself or do I need to do anything?
The only way to confirm if a dpf regen has occured is with multiecuscan on obd (maybe alfa obd and Kapron AP). Multiecuscan can also record interupted regens.

Back