Styling Removing Front bumper paint.

Currently reading:
Styling Removing Front bumper paint.

Hi all,

Its going to be a longer than anticipated job :(. I made a start on removing the paint from my front bumper – but its not as easy scraping off as I first thought.

Has anyone got any tried and tested short cuts like brake fluid or perhaps paint stripper? I want to go back to bear and have a nice shiny black bumper BTW.

Sorry Chas, I can’t remember what you suggested.

Kind regards,

Attachments

• 01_Bianca.jpg
    01_Bianca.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 64
Erm, can't remember if I did suggest anything with regards to removing the old paint. :confused:

From what I remember, the paint is quite thick in places. And some of it just came off in chunks too.

I wouldn't recommend using paint stripper or brake fluid as there is a chance it might attack the plastic bumper itself. Same problem with a hot air gun, too hot and you'll melt the bumper as well as the paint.

You could try a small amount of paint stripper on the inside of the bumper to see if it will react with the bumper plastic. If it doesn't, then it might be ok to use it on the paint parts. Be warned though, it is messy and it might leave paint stains on the plastic. And obviously you'll have to remove the bumper to do it else you'll mess up the the surrounding areas :eek:

A plastic scraper might be your best bet, though it will take ages. Alternatively, take the bumper off the car and 'flex' it (twist it about, not too roughly though!) at each end and wherever you can without straining it. You might find that the paint will crack and even start to fall off. That's all dependant on whether it was sprayed with proper plastic primer in the first place.

Could you not use the turbo bumper from the mk2?

Back