General Quick, about to buy Punto Evo 1.4 with lpg

Currently reading:
General Quick, about to buy Punto Evo 1.4 with lpg

kakashi7593

So what I am getting, its a Fiat Punto EVO, 2012 year, petrol 1.4 engine that also has option to run on GAS, now I am not sure which type and I know very little of cars that have GAS as a fuel.
Supposedly this whole installation has been factory installed.

When it comes to the car, it looks good and seems to work good.

Can anyone tell me if this seems like a good option and is there anything I should pay attention to before I buy it ?

Alright went to have a look at the car, there was some knocking in the engine, that almost went away as the engine warmed up, but it was very loud once you turn on GAS option, so car runs on GAS instead of petrol.
Supposedly its LPG specifically.

Does this car have a chain and that is whats causing the knocking sound ?

Alright went to have a look at the car, there was some knocking in the engine, that almost went away as the engine warmed up, but it was very loud once you turn on GAS option, so car runs on GAS instead of petrol.
Supposedly its LPG specifically.

Does this car have a chain and that is whats causing the knocking sound ?
Others may give different advice however, my thoughts are this.
A good quality installation fitted from new is probably OK, after market versions I am less keen on.
LPG in engines that I have seen, resulted long term in greater valve wear etc. Due to lack of lubrication in the fuel.
Other concern in your case is the knocking. Is it a fault in the car you are looking to buy rather than a design issue with LPG?
Personally apart from a cost of fuel saving, assuming you have a cheap local supplier, I wouldn't buy one.:)

Yea I am thinking same thing, I will not buy this car.

When I said "Supposedly its LPG specifically.", I was refering to my previous post where I was not sure what type of GAS car can run on , LPG or CNG, turns out this one has LPG installed.

Now, moving away from GAS.
I was wondering what the knocking sound could be and if the car has a belt or a chain ?
Because my friend that went with me said this is most likely chain that needs to be replaced.

But I am unable to find specifics online if this car uses a belt or a chain.

Yea I am thinking same thing, I will not buy this car.

When I said "Supposedly its LPG specifically.", I was refering to my previous post where I was not sure what type of GAS car can run on , LPG or CNG, turns out this one has LPG installed.

Now, moving away from GAS.
I was wondering what the knocking sound could be and if the car has a belt or a chain ?
Because my friend that went with me said this is most likely chain that needs to be replaced.

But I am unable to find specifics online if this car uses a belt or a chain.
In general chains rattle and more at idle cold before revs increase and take up slack, engine bearings, etc. knock more under load,and pistons knock more from cold before metal has expanded.
Does the engine numbers in this photo answer the question? :)

Attachments

• DSCF1536.JPG
    DSCF1536.JPG
    463.8 KB · Views: 17
"Mate", be more specific. Which "1,4" (8V or 16-Valve)? Or T-Jet or MultiAir.

Most LPGs are improperly fitted (including factory ones), especially gas injector hoses, unequal lengths, resulting in uneven valve wear (due to mixture differences, longest hose = most lean condition on the cylinder, typically 1 and 4). It's not "lack of lubrication" in the fuel.

Plus, most 8V owners never adjust the valve clearances (shims). Which is critical in case of LPG.
You can get away with neglecting regular gasoline (petrol) engine. You cannot do this in LPG version (it needs way more attention), LPG is not for idiots.

All Grande petrol engines have timing belts (not chains).

Knocking/ticking noise when cold (and goes away when hot) can be an exhaust manifold (broken studs), or worn VVT wheel. Or valve "lash".
LPG injectors are more vocal than petrol ones, but not so bad.

Last edited:
I will not argue about other points raised, but my comments re "LPG in engines that I have seen, resulted long term in greater valve wear etc. Due to lack of lubrication in the fuel." is from experience over many years in the motor trade.
Mainly due to higher valve to valve seat wear, which obviously would been higher need to adjust valve clearances.

No chain on the FIRE range and this should be the 1.4 8V 77Hp version, that comes with factory installed LPG, i think from Tomaseto. If you have the VIN, we can verify that, or if it is an aftermarket installation...

Back