Technical Off side drive shaft

Currently reading:
Technical Off side drive shaft

Punt9

On an 06 1.9 jtdm... how the hell does it come out. The pass one was a doodle but not this bugger.

Changing the box and need to get the drivers side shaft out. It's the bit of the shaft at the sump and about a 1ft from behind the shock.

This

Attachments

• 20210320_141603.jpg
    20210320_141603.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 54
That'll go back in it's not a problem. But can't get even a thin wall socket on that nuts you see.

I also tried to loosen the 3 torx bolts on the casing that holds that part on the shaft but even a good s/o socket started slipping off.

I'm buggered if can get it out, everything went good till that.

Last edited:
That'll go back in it's not a problem. But can't get even a thin wall socket on that nuts you see.

I also tried to loosen the 3 torx bolts on the casing that holds that part on the shaft but even a good s/o socket started slipping off.

I'm buggered if can get it out, everything went good till that.

If you just want to take the box out, cut the clamp on the tulip boot and separate there.
To take the inner shaft out you have to undo the bolts on the plate behind the tulip. This plate holds the center bearing in the housing and the bearing holds the shaft into the box.
I've done it on a M32 'box on a Croma with normal spanners / sockets. You might have to use a crowsfoot spanner on a square drive extension. Even with plate off I had trouble due to corrosion between the steel bearing and alloy carrier. I had to heat the carrier with a hot air gun to get the bearing and shaft. out.
The bolts holding the bearing carrier to the box are RIBE not Torx. Removing them won't help anyway, there is a dowel between the box and housing. That and the inner shaft stop the shaft or carrier coming off even if you take the bolts out.

Robert G8RPI.

Last edited:
Ah ok and that's the nuts I can't get off, I managed to get the torx/ribe bolts out but and casing thing is lose but as you these 2 nuts have to come off.

This is a coont of a job, I watched a few vids especially of KAW/Kevin Albert Williams, that guy knows his stuff. He does it but on a 1.2 petrol but says the 1.9 is the same. Maybe 90% but not all.

Thanks for that explanation I'll see how it goes now.

If somebody knows how the hell you get onto these nuts at the inside of the drivers side inner cv at the casing..... I'm all ears

If you just want to take the box out, cut the clamp on the tulip boot and separate there.
To take the inner shaft out you have to undo the bolts on the plate behind the tulip. This plate holds the center bearing in the housing and the bearing holds the shaft into the box.
I've done it on a M32 'box on a Croma with normal spanners / sockets. You might have to use a crowsfoot spanner on a square drive extension. Even with plate off I had trouble due to corrosion between the steel bearing and alloy carrier. I had to heat the carrier with a hot air gun to get the bearing and shaft. out.
The bolts holding the bearing carrier to the box are RIBE not Torx. Removing them won't help anyway, there is a dowel between the box and housing. That and the inner shaft stop the shaft or carrier coming off even if you take the bolts out.

Robert G8RPI.

You didn't mention the Allen bolts at the back and the nuts are tacked onto the plate

I'm thinking the nuts are captive on the bracket and you have undo the bolts from the nuts , which stay on the retainer.

You didn't mention the Allen bolts at the back and the nuts are tacked onto the plate

I did the job on a Croma over two years ago. I've not seen your car. As you said nuts and not mentioned bolts I assumed your carrier had studs with no bolt heads visble. There are often small variations in production.
Sorry for my lack of remote vision nd psychic abilty.

I'll go away now and stop wasting my time trying to help you.
rolleyes.gif

Last edited:
Yes you do that ie don't waste any more of you're time ;)

Seriously, I know it often differs even the stupidest of things and unless you're dealing or working on stuff everyday, it's hard to remember at times don't worry.

I do appreciate all the help ect don't think I don't.

Back