Tuning JTD Power loss, but different

Currently reading:
Tuning JTD Power loss, but different

'02 JTD 165000 miles'
Hi, I have had the 'Power loss' issue for some time now and am running out of options.
Done so far:
New EGR valve. New MAF sensor. New Fuel filter. New Cambelt.
I have checked the turbo as I thought it might be that, so I have checked it out and it blows great, and all is working fine.
There is no smoke from the exhaust, and driving around town is OK, but as soon as I find a hill, she struggles bad, Motorways are a nightmare as I get her to a decent speed, try to overtake get to a slight slope and end up in 3rd gear, very embarrassing.
A friend of mine has a diagnostic gadget and plugged it in tonight, all looked fine except the following:
Full throttle = 15%. Engine temp = 231 degrees. Air temp = 231 degrees. Engine was cold at the time.
It maybe that as his diagnostic (not Fiat) is showing wrong, but I loath to go to the dealer as she comes back worse that she went in and they do not find anything wrong.
Is it worth trying the ERG valve blank trick?
Please help, I am struggling now.....
Thanks.

'02 JTD 165000 miles'
Hi, I have had the 'Power loss' issue for some time now and am running out of options.
Done so far:
New EGR valve. New MAF sensor. New Fuel filter. New Cambelt.
I have checked the turbo as I thought it might be that, so I have checked it out and it blows great, and all is working fine.
There is no smoke from the exhaust, and driving around town is OK, but as soon as I find a hill, she struggles bad, Motorways are a nightmare as I get her to a decent speed, try to overtake get to a slight slope and end up in 3rd gear, very embarrassing.
A friend of mine has a diagnostic gadget and plugged it in tonight, all looked fine except the following:
Full throttle = 15%. Engine temp = 231 degrees. Air temp = 231 degrees. Engine was cold at the time.
It maybe that as his diagnostic (not Fiat) is showing wrong, but I loath to go to the dealer as she comes back worse that she went in and they do not find anything wrong.
Is it worth trying the ERG valve blank trick?
Please help, I am struggling now.....
Thanks.
hi i blanked mine about 6 weeks ago the difference in power is a big improvement i also get another 5mpg i should have blanked it years ago and its only a 30 min job. frank:)(y)

So does anyone know anything about the other issues, temp and throttle position?
i have not had them particular issues but i have had quite a few more if you took any notice it would cost you thousands to fiat i go by the old ways if anything comes up regarding temp ect check the car out and if it is not hot and the water is ok leave well alone mine has been coming up with all sorts of weird and wonderful codes over the last couple of years and up to now the car runs perfect, better than ever since blanking the egr valve.
frank

So does anyone know anything about the other issues, temp and throttle position?

Yeh, I had the TPP [ Throttle Position Sensor Code : P0220

I borrowed a snap-on ETHOS and these are three codes & descriptions archived :

- P0220 - Pedal Position Sensor
- P1320 - Timing Revolution Synch
- P0404 - EGR

I cleared the codes and waited to see which one re-occurred. It was the Throttle Position sensor [code 0220] Stripped the whole assembly [ potentiometer ] and could find no fault with the Ohms readings. In desperation £100 for a new part was going to have to be the next diagnostic step.

Now the bit that helps.

- the wiring from the Throttle Position Sensor ( look above the throttle pedal ) goes straight left behind the plastic to the passenger side bulkhead to a white 8 pin connector. This connector was making a bad contact at the passenger side - gave it a wiggle - solved - no problems since.

Had another look on the net and found people saying that apparently 9/10 times this connector is making a bad contact and most clued up garages just solder the wires together and charge you for a new potentiometer.

Here is the thread

Hope this helps !

Your problems sounds alot like the one I'm having I've just paid the £70 to get fiat to have a look for an hour and thet threw up fails on the ECU, the MAF, the diesel pump, the EGR and another one (which i've forgotten) they wanted to have their wiring guy look at it for another hour as they said that it was probably faulty wiring specifically the earths as i had alot of open circuits on and around the engine. So I'm gunna hopefully have alook at it this weekend if i can't find it fair enough and i'l let em have another looksee. Thinking of trying the EGR blanking while i've got the bonnet up.

Your problems sounds alot like the one I'm having I've just paid the £70 to get fiat to have a look for an hour and thet threw up fails on the ECU, the MAF, the diesel pump, the EGR and another one (which i've forgotten) they wanted to have their wiring guy look at it for another hour as they said that it was probably faulty wiring specifically the earths as i had alot of open circuits on and around the engine. So I'm gunna hopefully have alook at it this weekend if i can't find it fair enough and i'l let em have another looksee. Thinking of trying the EGR blanking while i've got the bonnet up.

Hiya, I hope you asked them, to clear [ you are paying for it ] your codes. This is important for two reasons (1) you car will continue to misbehave based on the codes that were left on the ECU and (2) the next newcode that appears first will probably be the root cause of your problem.

The wiring from the Throttle Position Sensor in my case was the problem because it's now running very very well and has never reoccurred. It's something anyone can do, no skills or tools required.

Best of luck my friend.

Yeah they cleared em and fair play to them they said it was an earthing problem and strongly hinter towards the gearbox and true enough teh connection points were corrorded to hell. but also in our endeavour we discovered the bracket that holds what we think is the dump valve wasn't actually attached, and the small vacuum hose from teh back of the turbo to it had split and was dangling away freely, so that was the first thing we fixed then disconnected and wirebrushed all the earth points/leads, slotted it all back together, the error, (whihc we had made occur on purpose) cleared itself when we revved it and by jesus is it nippy, my kids bike almost went through the back window as i booted it at 5500 rpm up a hill. Might get it some Abarth stickers as a warning to others. I already Involuntarily blew away a "styled up" saxo at the lights. Really happy with the fiat mechanics because they couldve said nothing and we would've been lookin at new sensors and the lot instead of just simple earthing (and a loose pipe).

oh we also blanked off the EGR with possibly the winner for most obscure blanking material, the super shiney polished surface of an old HDD disc.

oh we also blanked off the EGR with possibly the winner for most obscure blanking material, the super shiney polished surface of an old HDD disc.

Good post, pleased your sorted, love the ' HDD platter ' solution

Hi
can anyone explain what was done with the EGR? How blanking EGR can provide more power to the engine? How to blank it? I have Multipla 2001 JTD diesel.

Hi
can anyone explain what was done with the EGR? How blanking EGR can provide more power to the engine? How to blank it? I have Multipla 2001 JTD diesel.

The search button is at the top of the page :)

Back