Technical How do I remove from CV joint from drive shaft

Currently reading:
Technical How do I remove from CV joint from drive shaft

Hi all. I am having trouble finding any guide on getting the outer CV joint off the driveshaft of my Punto 2b - 1.3 multi-jet 2003 model. I have managed to get everything else apart and now just need to fit the new boot but cant find any guide on how I need to pull the joint off the shaft. I assume its a simple circlip that is holding it from coming off. I have tried hitting it, tried a universal puller to try and get it off but it is having none of it and wont come off. Need to get this sorted as MOT due next week. Any advice gratefully accepted
IMG_20240625_160204.jpg
IMG_20240625_160200.jpg

Model
Punto 2b Multi Jet 1.3 diesel
Year
Mileage
Generally if you clean the grease away from where the shaft goes into the CV joint you may see a circlip.
However if your CV has the clip on the inner end then normally a good clout with a large copper mallet should separate it.
If extremely tight there is a tool that can do the job.
Plan A is on the left and involves also holding the shaft so it doesn't pull out of the gearbox at the same time.
Plan B is on the right.
By the way if only replacing a split CV boot , you can buy a plastic trumpet and a "stretchy" CV boot to fit it with CV in place.This is the plastic trumpet tool. it is covered in grease so this is as close a photo I am taking;)

Attachments

• DSCF1435.JPG
    DSCF1435.JPG
    462.7 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF1436.JPG
    DSCF1436.JPG
    435 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Find out if it has a circlip or snap ring.
Snap rings are just a matter of brute force in the right way.
Circlips are messing around in the grease to see it and release it.

Generally if you clean the grease away from where the shaft goes into the CV joint you may see a circlip.
However if your CV has the clip on the inner end then normally a good clout with a large copper mallet should separate it.
If extremely tight there is a tool that can do the job.
Plan A is on the left and involves also holding the shaft so it doesn't pull out of the gearbox at the same time.
Plan B is on the right.
By the way if only replacing a split CV boot , you can buy a plastic trumpet and a "stretchy" CV boot to fit it with CV in place.This is the plastic trumpet tool. it is covered in grease so this is as close a photo I am taking;)
Thank you. Managed to get it off. I have rebuilt it all but now cant find any info on what the Nm torque should be on the wheel bearing hub nut. Any ideas ?

Find out if it has a circlip or snap ring.
Snap rings are just a matter of brute force in the right way.
Circlips are messing around in the grease to see it and release it.
Thank you. You are correct, it was a circlip and a lot of faffing around and got it off. I have rebuilt it all but now cant find any info on what the Nm torque should be on the wheel bearing hub nut. Any ideas ?

Thank you. Managed to get it off. I have rebuilt it all but now cant find any info on what the Nm torque should be on the wheel bearing hub nut. Any ideas ?
This is from a 2012 Technical Data Manual. The special notes number says new nuts/bolts. Sorry it doesn't list any earlier.

Attachments

• DSCF1446.JPG
    DSCF1446.JPG
    460 KB · Views: 2
Back