Technical Gearbox on with a tie down strap

koalar

Distinguished member
Seemed like a simple plan

Wrap a tie down strap around the gearbox and a plank across the engine bay

Racket up and slide my toolbox under

Release remove slack and racket the rest of the way

Could do the job without asking for help from a neighbour

Nope it not a great plan and wasted a lot of time, did get it done on my own, But not the way I would do it again

Don't don't follow my mistake

The problem is pretty obvious in hindsight. You have two part of the strap going to the gearbox, one at the back one at the front, because the gearbox get wedged on the strap, instead of just lifting it up it lifts and rotates

Would probable work fine if I looped some rope around the gearbox first
IMG_20230706_095642.jpg

Usually a bit of box or angle section and chain/threaded bar, onto where the original lifting lugs, making sure it was centred, so that engine wouldn’t twist. I note many cars these days must have their lugs removed in production, but you used to be sure Fiat didn’t bother

The steel tube you use to carry the weight has to be down the engine centreline. I use two "3x2" battens from scuttle to radiator bracket with screws to stop the tube rolling down. The car was on axle stands under the back end of front subframe.

The ratchet strap is placed around the gearbox adjacent to the bell housing joint. The box is lifted with a jack using the ratchet strap to allow the jack to be reset. When it's at the correct height, the strap carries the gearbox weight, allowing you to rotate the box and get the holes lined up. You cannot do this with the jack, because there is no way to find a balance point and it will fall off the jack.

After struggling with the 1.2, I've now done that and another using this idea. I have another one to do by the end of summer.

Back