General Front bumper mounts...

Currently reading:
General Front bumper mounts...

classic problem... but bumper has to be secure for MOT...
I've had front bumper off before so all was well with undoing bolts, however the front nearside corner has been nudged at some point and the plastic mounting slot was cracked... doh.
After carefull drilling it either side I put tie wraps round and If I hadn't gone for the last nip-up with the pliers all would have been well... but I didn't and the remaining uncracked part of the mounting has now come off! :bang:
So, apart from another bumper, what's best repair?
Has anyone tried polyurethane adhesive or epoxy to bond something straight onto rear, or has anyone pop riveted a mounting plate on?
Any suggestions would be most welcome,
cheers
lwm

3M DP805 - never heard of this one... (don't think my local bucket store gonna stock this!)
Thing is, I got no plastic to stick back on either - it's totally disintegrated...
I know that different plastics can be tricky to stick to, hence the thoughts on pop rivets... could paint the heads black - was wondering if anyone else has done this...
Meanwhile I'll try a search for the 3M online
cheers
mick

Like you suggest I have the same problem, which is broken plastic brackets on the bumper.
Being in the plastics industry I know Polypropylene is very hard to bond to as it is an oily plastic unlike ABS which glues easily.

Why don't you make up a steel bracket to the same design as the original but POP rivet them on, or bond a block of wood on to the same depth with a bolt bonded into it. It is in reality only a spacer for alignment.

Like you suggest I have the same problem, which is broken plastic brackets on the bumper.
Being in the plastics industry I know Polypropylene is very hard to bond to as it is an oily plastic unlike ABS which glues easily.

Why don't you make up a steel bracket to the same design as the original but POP rivet them on, or bond a block of wood on to the same depth with a bolt bonded into it. It is in reality only a spacer for alignment.

Hi David,
is that what the Panda bumpers are made from - Polypropylene?
I've got some polyurethane sealant/adhesive to try... good with most things in the past, but plastics are a bit of a mystery to me...
I've never used Tigerseal but I think it's a polyurethane based sealant/adhesive like Sikaflex..?
If using pop rivets and a home-made bracket I think the big head variety will be best...
It was holding well with the tie wraps... if only I hadn't reached for the pliers... :cry:
I had thought of trying to bond a piece of plywood... I noticed also that a local bucket shop has some coach bolts.
The problem with the original design is that the 'bolt' head is too thin/narrow and the plastic is no match against it when thread is rusted - it would have been better designed, for the long term, having a thicker flat head. Then it wouldn't 'cut' into the plastic so easily. A better solution to removing them would be to grind off the retaining nut on one side - thus leaving plastic unchallenged. But we're stuck with it...

Stripped her out today as I've found someone who's prepared to take a look and assess the welding work!! :slayer:
Thing is, I want a proper job...
Anyway they are going to let me run it down on their trade plates tomorrow, so fingers crossed...

thanks for the input!
it's surprising how input from other owners gets you fired up... (y)
cheers
mick

Mick.

I have used Tigerseal to reseal the wrap around flange on door edges, but I am sure it isn't really an adhesive, just a waterproof sealant.

There are superglues that will glue polypropylene BUT, they won't create any strength to the repair. ie You can't build it up to act as a support on either side.

Dave

The wood option might not sound very high tech, but it's quite a good bodge, because wood is easy to shape and you can screw straight through the bumper into it. Try and find a bit of hardwood though, softwood will rot within the year and pull away.

Mike

Polyurethane sealant/adhesive is what they stick truck bodies and caravans together with these days and usually quite expensive. I've only used the Sikaflex (there are many different grades - some flexible and some solid) so I can't speak for Tigerseal but feel sure it comes under the polyurethane stable.
I'd post some pics if I could remember how to do it... I've found the USB download cable for my camera, which is a start!
I've got 2 'How To's' posted with pics - where are they? - it says my gallery is empty, but the URL is @ Fiat Forum :confused:
cheers
mick

Whey hey! Well spotted - just goes to show the man ain't so well connected after all! :)
I'll not feel so bad if it comes to using a coach bolt then.
It also goes to show that it's not such an easy fix to have nothing showing on outside :devil:

I haven't had chance to try the polyurethane stuff yet as it's now down at the garage...
It seems to make sense to try and keep as much of the original plastic mount as possible to help get something to bond to the inside
cheers aca - good link
(y)

take a look at mine, don't have any of the original stupid square bumper bolts left, just lots of sensible bolts through from the outside. Way simpler when you want to take it off again:

note the 'reversing sensor' look on the rear;)
Andrew.

Hi Andrew,
Thanks for the input - looks good - and sensible...
Are they black sprayed coach bolt heads - if so did you file a sq. in the bumper or put extra nuts on inside to lock bolt?

...argh, if only I weren't such a purist :bang:
why do I want smooth bumpers... why?
cheers
mick

Been doing a bit of research:

http://buyfrom.anixtercomponents.com/EN/catalogue/FFF01

http://www.waysideadhesives.com/Masterweld-Rapid-60-sec-50ml--154_prod.php

also found an interesting site about welding plastic bumpers...

Nice bit of googling, I couldn't find small batches of the 3M stuff. 810 is the same as 805 with a 10min cure time rather than 5min.

I'm intrigued by the Wayside stuff might get some to see what it's like. The nice thing about the 3M DP stuff is it doesn't run so you can build up a good structure around the bolt.

Da dah...
quick fix for the front bumper = 4xtie wraps round mounting bracket. Requires 1/4" hole in lower edge of bumper - pulls bumper up and in. Would be suitable for MOT fix as it feels quite secure (tie wraps will be hid behind plastic wheel arch protector). At least - I hope - this will hold until I get time to try out the new superglue stuff I've bought (that I was assured would work...)
photos 2 and 3 show that it's just about invisible...
(y)
ps nitro - that's one tidy lookin' Panda you got there, thanks for the input btw - I may just go with the bolt option yet! (when this all twangs apart...:eek:)

Attachments

• pics08Aug-Sept 102.jpg
    pics08Aug-Sept 102.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 18
  • pics08Aug-Sept 103.jpg
    pics08Aug-Sept 103.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 15
  • pics08Aug-Sept 104.jpg
    pics08Aug-Sept 104.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 18
  • pics08Aug-Sept 099.jpg
    pics08Aug-Sept 099.jpg