DCT functionality how is it supposed to work and why has suspension travel been reduced over the years?

Currently reading:
DCT functionality how is it supposed to work and why has suspension travel been reduced over the years?

Emin

We have a Turkish Fiat Egea (Tipo 356) Cross 2022 1.6 diesel muti jet with a DCT and park it in a garage turning off a steep slope.
Reversing in down the steep slope and driving out down the slope is fine so long as there is no obstruction on my exit. The car does part of this maneuver on 3 wheels a rear wheel lifts off the ground due to a lack of suspension travel. With a tight exit around something I may need to reverse and then the car engine stops with 'Start/Stop not available' even though I have already disabled Start/Stop with it's switch.
Now I heard that driving a DCT requires you to come to a full stop before you launch off again otherwise it can be prone to dither for a while. I experience this dithering from time to time when the engine is cold and I am joining a minor road. I am willing to accept that is how a DCT behaves even though I don't understand why.
How do I control the reversing speed up a steep slope with an automatic DCT. I hold the car on handbrake and expect to feel it pull against the brakes in reverse. However the car does one of two things either it waits then slips forward when the Hill Start times out or it reverses so fast I need to jam the foot brake on. I have never experienced normal controlled slow reversing on a steep slope is this a fly by wire and ECU problem or the DCT functionality?
If I get as far as turning then I am on three wheels and the handbrake no longer stops the vehicle rolling forward. The foot brake works but the car also has a habit of turning the engine off even with the Start/Stop disabled. It is very disconcerting I am well travelled and this is my 6th Fiat (131, 131, Tipo 1.9TD, Punto 1.2, Punto 1.2) but first DCT. I never had a transmission problem driving my fathers toyota prius that was automatic with a foot operated parking brake and I never had a need to try to operate both brakes together or sequentially on the prius. Most other cars I drove were Fords Sierra manual and automatic and 3 Mondeos. We had an automatic 1996 Grand Cherokee for a few years and that would have had no problem keeping all 4 wheels on the ground. Probably the Fiat 131 estates might have managed it on 4 wheels also. Fiat 131 estate suspension travel at the rear was adequate they where known over here as a Kartal built by Tofaş. Having said that many drivers managed to roll the 131 estate on corners. I had the experience of that as a passenger and again as driver watching the 131 following me use his brakes instead of gears and go for a roll in the snow. Those 131 estates where just great even off road loved them, just a little hot without a/c and the windows rolled down in the Summer. Given the choice of a new Fiat 131 estate or a Fiat Tipo Cross stationwagon I would take the 131 if I wasn't married and a company was paying for the fuel but neither if my wife drove.

Doesn't sound very "confidence inspiring", if it was America there would be lawyers clamouring for a Class Action against the manufacturer for producing a dangerous car.;)

I would expect the handbook to give some guidance about using the gearbox, have you checked?

Some DCTs use a dry clutch, whilst others use a wet clutch. The dry clutch tends to be a grip/no grip function, and these do not like slow speed manoeuvring much, especially when a hill is involved. Your technique of workign clutch against brake may be the way to do it, and with practice will minimise the clutch slipping and therefore wear.
The wet clutches are usually smoother at slow speeds, being more able to slip gently, so avoiding the all or nothing of the dry clutch. They also suffer less wear and tear during slip, due to the oil bath.

Hi,

is it a dual clutch transmission ?

Or is it fiat dualogic/ duaologic automated manual transmission?

J

The engine should not stop when stop start disabled.....that is a fault.

Your parking / manoeuvring situation is not really suited to any make of dct or automated manual . While it should be possible to perform the manoeuvres required my opinion is the clutches in the dct or automated manual will wear out more quickly than acceptable.

Dct /automated manual cannot be compared to a traditional automatic gearbox or Toyota prius type.

Best wishes
Jack

Back