Technical Clutch/Gearbox Knocking Noise?

Currently reading:
Technical Clutch/Gearbox Knocking Noise?

kd248

Hi everyone,

New to this forum and just wanted a bit of advice on a noise my 2014 500 Lounge 1.2 is making. I’ve attached a video but the only way I can describe it is like a creaking/knocking noise. It’s actually quite loud (as I hope the video will do it justice)

This only happens when the clutch is at biting point as you bring it up after selecting a gear. It only ever happens at low gears (most prominent when stationary going into 1st to pull away), also sometimes when you change gear and try to pull away with low revs (in 2nd).

Recently had an MOT and full service where quite a lot of suspension was changed. Tried to do some digging and closest thing I could find to this noise was either clutch bearing related, or gearbox/engine mount related.

For context, the car has some other issues such as the (seemingly common) airbag ECU fault, so that is currently off being repaired, and there is also a horrible juddering noise on occasion which starts about 30 seconds after you have fired it up and you are stationary idling in neutral. Sounds like a tractor and like it is going to stall, and you also have no power when it is in that state (have had my foot to the floor when it does it and its completely dead) but then after a minute of near death (and not stalling) it revives and carries on as normal. No idea if any of that is related but thought would mention just for most background.

Is anyone kindly able to advise?

Model
500 Lounge
Year
Mileage

Attachments

• IMG_9123.mov
    22 MB
It’s difficult as there’s a few noises… all I can hear is noisy bearings like a tensioner or air conditioning compressor that’s past its best …. I’m sure someone will advise further

It’s difficult as there’s a few noises… all I can hear is noisy bearings like a tensioner or air conditioning compressor that’s past its best …. I’m sure someone will advise further
Thanks very much - yeah there are quite a few noises which don’t help. The main noise I’m concerned about is the creaking at the very start and very end (last 5 seconds) of the video… I think there’s a fair bit wrong with it tbh but I’m just trying to work out what is economically worth fixing before I get rid of the car!

Back