Technical Cinquecento 1998 0.9 Low idle RPM dying when driving

Currently reading:
Technical Cinquecento 1998 0.9 Low idle RPM dying when driving

Cinko98

Hello!
I bought myself very cheap cinquecento 0.9 from year 1998.
I was driving it home from far (about 300km or 190 miles) with no problem but when I came home I find out there was a lot of oil in coolant. Head gasket was leaking :(
Bought new head gasket, changed it myself in my driveway. Then fuelpump died. Bought new one changed it myself but I think it is too high in fuel tank. Car won´t run when fuel is near reserv.
But now I have new problem. When I start it cold it shakes a lot it has low idle maybe 700. It is not happy at idle. It is driving okey has power but sometimes when car starts to move on 1st gear it dies. Yesturday it died on onramp to highway on 3rd gear when clutch released. I did instal a new clutch but it was doing it with old one too. There is small rubber hose coming to front of the carburator from airbox it is melted and smoke is coming from it. I think it will be the problem. But why it is dying only sometimes? I have PTSD driving my car :D
Thanks for the help in advance!

Model
Cinquecento
Year
Mileage
Clean all the vacuum passage into the throttle body and make sure all the vacuum lines are not split or blocked.

Last edited:
Clean all the vacuum passage into the throttle body and make sure all the vacuum lines are not split or blocked.
This hose is melted and smoke is coming out of it

Attachments

• IMG_20240623_124649.jpg
    IMG_20240623_124649.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
8 should be evap/purge valve
9 should be crankcase breather
10 is map on 1.1 but 899 has map feed from the lower stub shared with the brake booster.

If you mix up the breather and purge pipes the idle goes crazy, the holes drilled in the throttle body are different sizes.

The rocker cover breather pipe can collapse internally when it breaks down/melts, there is also a plastic restrictor towards the airbox end that can block up.

The pipe is available new fairly cheap.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-06-23-11-54-46-405.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-06-23-11-54-46-405.jpg
    431.4 KB · Views: 23
That pipe is the rocker cover breather, it should be connected to the throttle body.

If you can't find a new one you might be able to bridge it with some straight couplers and new pipe.

It looks like your throttle body lid is missing the rubber seal and your purge valve pipe is in the wrong place too, it should be on the empty stub above.

You MUST make sure all the holes inside the stubs that the hoses connect to are clean though, if they are blocked you will suffer idle issues.

The 899 also suffers with leaks on the rocker cover gasket, it is shared with the inlet manifold.

Thin pipe goes to number 9

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-06-23-12-21-20-698.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-06-23-12-21-20-698.jpg
    497.1 KB · Views: 24
If you decide to block off the tank evap/purge pipe (sometimes the pipework at the tank end splits causing running issues) you will need to fit a vented fuel filler cap

the standard cap only allowed air into the tank (under vacuum from purge system) so won't let Any built up pressure out.

Last edited:
Thanks to all of you guys! I have to buy new pipe but for now some ducktape will work. It is driving like new.

Hello again 😐
I was going to work it is maybe 8km away little highway drive... I was in traffic jam and when cooling fan kicked in car died 😔

I remember hearing fan issues and fuse blowing can be due to earth wires by one of the headlights

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-06-24-20-44-10-840.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-06-24-20-44-10-840.jpg
    572.3 KB · Views: 21
Back