Technical BCM

Currently reading:
Technical BCM

Tonyward

Hi, I’m new on here and have been very lucky with my punto, bought from new and passed on to me from my daughter. However, I had a problem with lights coming on after the engine was switched off and the lights flickering when driving at night. I put it into the auto elec and it needs a BCM. Where and how do I buy one? Does it need to be exactly what is installed at the moment. Any help to kick me off on this would be really appreciated.

Model
Punto Evo Active, 3 door, petrol,
Year
Mileage
Hi, I’m new on here and have been very lucky with my punto, bought from new and passed on to me from my daughter. However, I had a problem with lights coming on after the engine was switched off and the lights flickering when driving at night. I put it into the auto elec and it needs a BCM. Where and how do I buy one? Does it need to be exactly what is installed at the moment. Any help to kick me off on this would be really appreciated.
First I would make sure 100% that that is the issue.
One of my daughters bought a 2010 1.2 Punto Evo with ABS fault allegedly just a seat sensor. Previous owner had tried to repair but in doing so bypassed a resistor and damaged the BCM. Long story short I sorted the seat sensor side then used my friends Snap On Zeus diagnostics to check it out and found out about the BCM, I waas lucky to find a "shop soiled" brand new one same numbers on eBay for £149 roughly, fitted it and then had to run a " Proxi Alignment " so the new BCM could recognise everything in system, several years down the line still working.
However it was a new one, second hand will have all the previous vehicle data which will be a big problem.
So make sure all codes are read and noted and fixed before buying a BCM, ideally new.:)

Hi ‘Bugsymike’, thank you for you valuable input. The (very expensive!) Fiat diagnostic check identified that the BCM ‘wasn’t communicating’ so I hope that they got it right. I am currently in tow with a reputable local auto elec who initially suggested that it could be the indicator stalk so I got a reasonably cheap new one but it didn’t cure the issues, he didn’t charge me for the remove / replace. He has discussed the ‘cloning’ but it is well above me. He also mentioned finding out the numbers and getting the same number. I have asked him to do that so once he tells me the number I will try and get one. Are new ones easily available? Are second hand / refurb’d a good option? I think that the cost of all of this is likely to be a big hit but if it doesn’t spiral out of control then it shouldn’t be as much as scrapping it and buying a new second hand car. Thanks again and any other info would be very much appreciated.

Hi ‘Bugsymike’, thank you for you valuable input. The (very expensive!) Fiat diagnostic check identified that the BCM ‘wasn’t communicating’ so I hope that they got it right. I am currently in tow with a reputable local auto elec who initially suggested that it could be the indicator stalk so I got a reasonably cheap new one but it didn’t cure the issues, he didn’t charge me for the remove / replace. He has discussed the ‘cloning’ but it is well above me. He also mentioned finding out the numbers and getting the same number. I have asked him to do that so once he tells me the number I will try and get one. Are new ones easily available? Are second hand / refurb’d a good option? I think that the cost of all of this is likely to be a big hit but if it doesn’t spiral out of control then it shouldn’t be as much as scrapping it and buying a new second hand car. Thanks again and any other info would be very much appreciated.
Personally I would get a more detailed diagnostic check using either Fiat MultiEcuScan MES or something good like Snap On so that you have a full list of the error codes, often there is someone on Fiat Forum who can give advice.
Don't just throw money away, it's no good fitting a new or second hand BCM without knowing the original problem.
It sounds daft, but has the power and earths been checked at the BCM along with the connector plug for corrosion etc.
A second hand BCM will have all the wrong details in it so it wouldn't just work and may immobilise it on it's own.
I would be surprised if ind. stalk was the issue.
For less than a vague Fiat diagnostic check (did they give a print out of all the errors found?) you could buy a diagnostic program and leads to fit your lap top or phone . Look up Gendan on line and speak to them about MES , they are quite helpful.:)

Personally I would get a more detailed diagnostic check using either Fiat MultiEcuScan MES or something good like Snap On so that you have a full list of the error codes, often there is someone on Fiat Forum who can give advice.
Don't just throw money away, it's no good fitting a new or second hand BCM without knowing the original problem.
It sounds daft, but has the power and earths been checked at the BCM along with the connector plug for corrosion etc.
A second hand BCM will have all the wrong details in it so it wouldn't just work and may immobilise it on it's own.
I would be surprised if ind. stalk was the issue.
For less than a vague Fiat diagnostic check (did they give a print out of all the errors found?) you could buy a diagnostic program and leads to fit your lap top or phone . Look up Gendan on line and speak to them about MES , they are quite helpful.:)
Thank you again, I will follow up your recommendations.

Back