Technical Battery light/heavy steering

Currently reading:
Technical Battery light/heavy steering

Hello, can someone kind person advise?

2011 1.4 8v Evo.

New battery this week

Occasionally when starting shows battery light and has heavy steering. If you switch off and restart it resets itself and is fine. No other current issues.

What's wrong?

Am I right thinking earth straps? And if so where are they located?
Thanks

Is the alternator charging ok? Also could be earth strap, I think there is a main one from battery negative to gearbox?

Done a battery/ alternator test

Battery voltage 12.9v
Alternator running 15.6v
Alternator running plus lights radio heater wipers 13.v

So guessing battery/ alternator/ earth ok, and as suggested need a bcm update?

Alternator running at 15.6v is too much, the correct voltage is 14.4V. Get the regulator on the alternator replaced. Load voltage is also low. Mine never drops below 13.8V (but that may be due to bigger alternator of my 1.4T-135PS Evo...)

the correct voltage is
There's no fixed number. It's a curve/range, dependent on temperature, among others. Always was like that.
https://aftersales.fiat.com/elearnsections/main.aspx?nodeID=199002598&languageID=2&markID=1&modelID=199000000&valID=199000000&prodID=199000000&modelName=Fiat - 199 - Grande Punto&langDesc=English&sectionName=Descrizioni&validityName=1.2 8v
939000013_2.jpg

So, assuming the battery, alternator and earth straps are all good, what else is left to cause the very intermittent issue of battery light,no power steering which magically repairs itself after a restart?

( Yes I've read all the threads and there's no definitive answer)

And where on the chart does it show 15.6v as the correct voltage? At -200oC? Either voltmeter is totally wrong (i highly doubt it), or rectifier is on the way out. By England temps, it should have 14.5v max at idle...

Don't play modern journalist (suggesting what someone said supposedly, paraphrasing things: "so you're saying..." technique, right on the edge of "gaslighting"). First and last warning "mate". I've never said it's "correct".

So, assuming the battery, alternator and earth straps are all good, what else is left to cause the very intermittent issue of battery light,no power steering which magically repairs itself after a restart?

( Yes I've read all the threads and there's no definitive answer)

You clearly DON'T have a "good" alternator (how many people have to tell you this ugly truth?). When it's going bad, the battery suffers too. You should check (test properly) things mentioned in the threads you claim you've read (without understanding, plus you did nothing with the car - it will not "fix itself" magically). Less talking, more doing is the ultimate advice.

There are few reasons for battery light, therefore there's no one "definitive answer".
First you fix the power (alternator, battery, connections/wiring). You have enough bits of information in the internet to do this.
Then you can diagnose the steering itself. This is correct order of operations.

Last edited:
Hello, can someone kind person advise?

2011 1.4 8v Evo.

New battery this week

Occasionally when starting shows battery light and has heavy steering. If you switch off and restart it resets itself and is fine. No other current issues.

What's wrong?

Am I right thinking earth straps? And if so where are they located?
Thanks
I had this issue, though I hadn't had a battery change. It just randomly started.

Had my local garage check it. It was 100% the alternator. Got it replaced, problem solved.

Though now I just have the annoying issue of the yellow warning triangle telling me stop/start is unavailable....

Done a battery/ alternator test

Battery voltage 12.9v
Alternator running 15.6v
Alternator running plus lights radio heater wipers 13.v

So guessing battery/ alternator/ earth ok, and as suggested need a bcm update?
I agree with the others, 15.6 volts is too high (unless you've got a sophisticated variable/overrun type setup "smart charging" as very late model cars now tend to have. They are very difficult to measure as they can show no charge under certain circumstances. However our cars don't have this.) You'd expect to see around 13.5 to 14.5 from a properly working alternator and this should be at pretty much any running speed from idle on upwards.

I think it likely you'll find the alternator, although showing a high charge when you check it will not be sustaining this when the system is heavily loaded as is the case when the power steering is operated. Have you tried checking battery voltage when the steering wheel is being turned?

I suspect, as has been hinted at above, there's something wrong with the regulator and I wouldn't ignore this for too long because at 15.6 volts you're starting to get near the tolerance value for some of the electronics and if it were to suddenly "spike" you might find yourself with some quite expensive electronic components to replace.

Back