Technical ABS & ESP fault and steering angle sensor fault on my Fiat Panda 100HP (C1131 & C1117)

Currently reading:
Technical ABS & ESP fault and steering angle sensor fault on my Fiat Panda 100HP (C1131 & C1117)

Markus1999

Hello,

New to the forums, but have consulted a bunch of times to solve potential issues with my Fiat Panda 100HP.

I am currently dealing with the fault code C1131 Pressure Sensor Intermittent Fault, aswell as C1117 Steering Angle Sensor (NGE).

Is it wise to replace both parts and hope this fixes the issue? They're quite expensive parts and both seem to be quite a pain to fix.

I have looked and all the fuses, aswell as checked the ABS Pumps connector and found no issues. Furthermore I have also replaced all ABS Sensors on the car, hoping that would fix my issue with the ABS, but to no awail. The Steering Angle Sensor is giving the right angle readings when connected and turning the wheel, so I am confused as to why it is giving me this fault (the car just got a wheel allignment and the code was present before too).

MOT is over a month due, so I am pretty desperate to get it fixed.

I hope you guys have some suggestions that could be helpful.

Thank you in advance!

Kind regards!

Model
Fiat Panda 100HP - 1.4 16V
Year
Mileage
Thanks for you response!

The battery is about a year old and I just cleaned both the battery terminals and earth clamps.

The battery has been tested and charged too, in order to rule that out.

C1117 Steering Angle Sensor (NGE)

Does not appear to be right

From elearn

These errors are signalled if there is a short circuit at the CAN (supply or earth), if it is damaged or not correctly fitted. Error C1117 can also occur after the battery has been disconnected and reconnected or as a result of difficulties in starting

Do you get any lights on the dash
If so are they intermittent or permanent

C1117 Steering Angle Sensor (NGE)

Does not appear to be right

From elearn

These errors are signalled if there is a short circuit at the CAN (supply or earth), if it is damaged or not correctly fitted. Error C1117 can also occur after the battery has been disconnected and reconnected or as a result of difficulties in starting

Do you get any lights on the dash
If so are they intermittent or permanent
Both faults are intermittent. Just went on a short drive today after cleaning the battery terminals and the steering angle fault (C1117) was not present. The pressure sensor fault (C1131) however is still present, but says it is an intermittent fault on the OBD scanner I have been using.

I get ABS and ESP faults in the dash. They appear around 40-60 km/h. Do not know if that gives any indication as to what the issue might be.

I am also curious as to whether the ABS Pump is the same for all engine variants or if it is a specific pump for the 100HP?

Thank you for your response!

Last edited:
All the abs units are not the same

Early ABS
ABS
ABS + ESP
ABS + ESP + 4x4

As far as I know, the 100HP is not unique, if you match the number on the label (probably 51799595) you can use a ABS from a different engine, I have never tried tried it

I probably try reseating the connector first but it does appear to be

This service bulletin is not for the panda but the symptoms are the same

Screenshot_20240715-002716.png

All the abs units are not the same

Early ABS
ABS
ABS + ESP
ABS + ESP + 4x4

As far as I know, the 100HP is not unique, if you match the number on the label (probably 51799595) you can use a ABS from a different engine, I have never tried tried it

I probably try reseating the connector first but it does appear to be

This service bulletin is not for the panda but the symptoms are the same

View attachment 448442
Based on your attached file it does seems likely that it is an issue with the ABS pump.

I was able to purchase a used unit for a reasonable price and will hopefully be fitting it later this week.

Thank you very much for your help!

Being intermittent it will be hard to measure and diagnose it properly

Fingers crossed, a new unit will fix it, odds are very good but I normally prefer not to go the parts change route but for this I see no alternative

Back