General 500 insurance groups?

Currently reading:
General 500 insurance groups?

what i wont to no is why is the 1.2 pop insurance groups 2 but the sport and lounge are insurance groups 4 whats going on there they all have the same engine if you ask me the pop should be higher then the sport and lounge becouse its faster it dont have all the thinks like air con and what ever els they put in the sport

A difference of two groups is disappointing though and excessive in my opinion.

A difference of two groups is disappointing though and excessive in my opinion.
I disagree. Group 4 is hardly that high. My lowly 406 1.9 Turbo Diesel is hardly the fastest thing on wheels yet it's something like insurance group 10.

Like Custard said it's about equipment, repair costs and a lot of other factors.

I disagree.
quote]

What a surprise, if you read my post properly you will see that the issue I am making is concerning the two group difference between the pop and the other trim levels.

A one group difference would have been quite adequate in my opinion to cater for the limited additional repair/replacement costs.

I used to work for a large car insurance company so please don't lecture me on the mehanics of car insurance.:bang:

I disagree.
quote]

What a surprise, if you read my post properly you will see that the issue I am making is concerning the two group difference between the pop and the other trim levels.

A one group difference would have been quite adequate in my opinion to cater for the limited additional repair/replacement costs.

I used to work for a large car insurance company so please don't lecture me on the mehanics of car insurance.:bang:

Keep your pants on.

In my opinion I could think a 300 group difference would be sufficient. But it's not my opinion that matters nor is it yours for that matter. It's not like Fiat chooses the insurance group either. It's the insurers who choose the groups and they've obviously seen fit to give the 500 a group 4 rating based on the formula they use for all the cars they give groups to. I think the fact that the Pop comes with steelies as standard probably has a lot to do with the low rating of the Pop. You could say they chose to "reward" the Pop rather than penalise the Lounge and Sport.

well 2 cars, one called a pop, one a sport, which one is more likely to be driven 'sporty' and 'fast' and more likely to crash? ;)

And with the lounge I suppose you could be more likely to fall asleep at the wheel.:rolleyes:

If I was to buy a 1.2 POP and specify alloys and a dealer fit rear spoiler would I have to inform my insurance company, even though the parts are official Fiat items??? The reason I ask is because in theory you could easily make a POP (grp 2) look identical to a Sport (grp 4).

If I was to buy a 1.2 POP and specify alloys and a dealer fit rear spoiler would I have to inform my insurance company, even though the parts are official Fiat items??? The reason I ask is because in theory you could easily make a POP (grp 2) look identical to a Sport (grp 4).

Yes, you are supposed to report any modifications to the Insurance company. In practice this rarely happens for minor mods such as alloys but theoretically your insurance could be invalidated if you fail to report changes to the standard spec.

Last edited:
Yes, you are supposed to report any modifications to the Insurance company. In practice this rarely happens for minor mods such as alloys but theoretically your insurance could be invalidated.

I would think though that options wouldn't invalidate your insurance.

I have a pop specced up to lounge levels with alloys, glass roof, chrome, blue and me. All of these are listed on the proposal and didn't cost any extra. Insurance dead cheapo from here....

I'm with Dougl65 on this one. I have a Pop (1.2) - options are alloys and leather. To an insurance company these come as "manufacturers options" (not modifications) which are covered by the purchase cost of the car.

BTW - It was unbelieveably cheap to insure!

and I recommend Swiftcover - they are an internet insurer, you deal with all the paperwork yourself, excellent when buying a brand new car as you don't have to wait for the post for your docs. Plus there is a helpline to ring if you need to speak to someone.

I'm with Dougl65 on this one. I have a Pop (1.2) - options are alloys and leather. To an insurance company these come as "manufacturers options" (not modifications) which are covered by the purchase cost of the car.

BTW - It was unbelieveably cheap to insure!

and I recommend Swiftcover - they are an internet insurer, you deal with all the paperwork yourself, excellent when buying a brand new car as you don't have to wait for the post for your docs. Plus there is a helpline to ring if you need to speak to someone.

As long as you have reported the changes you have fuly discharged your responsibility. Whether the parts are Fiat's or an other manufacturer is immaterial for insurance purposes.

The fact you can spec a pop up to Lounge levels and pay two groups less insurance does make a bit of a mockery of the two group difference between the trim levels. This despite that with a total car recovery insurance payout you are unlikely to get full return on the outlay made on non standard options.

Back