Technical Crank but no start

Currently reading:
Technical Crank but no start

PuntoEvoCam

Hello I put new engine my car. But all it does it’s crank and not start I have had a new battery, starter motor but still no start? Anyone have any ideas on why?

Where to start with this?

All the wires reconnected?

Fuel pipes?

Where did you get engine from?

Did you see it running before you fitted it to your car?

Any fault codes read from ecu?

Is the replacement engine EXACTLY the same as the old engine? from identical car ? Same engine code?

Any decent forum should ban users who start "Google-able" problem threads. Most common like "crank no start" for example.
Read this: https://www.google.com/search?q=Crank+but+no+start - there's your answer, somewhere. :cool:

Engine swap is not a brake pads or oil change. Advanced mechanic should perform this (or very seasoned hobbyist).
This (higher level) includes paying attention to details. And giving them away when problems pop out.

Do I really have to ask:
- WHO did the engine swap, you or some professional grease-monkey, or your uncle Jamal,
- what's wrong with the old one (and which one exactly, 1.2 / 1.4 / 8V / 16V / UniAir, MultiAir / Diesel),
- what's the source and condition of the "new" one,
- did "you" swapped the complete engine, including ECU (if so, what about immobiliser),
- if it's MultiAir, did you bled the air out of oil system, do you have proper cranking sound (is there compression or not),
- did "you" renew the timing belt without locking tools,
- wiring harness, there are cosmetic differences between the engines, especially transition from Grande to EVO/2012, different crankshaft sensors,
- can you communicate with the car using OBD2 port (and proper soft, like FES / MES),
- and so on, multiple questions come to mind, there are many potential failure points in such job (list above covers about 20% of them).

Last edited:
Where to start with this?

All the wires reconnected?

Fuel pipes?

Where did you get engine from?

Did you see it running before you fitted it to your car?

Any fault codes read from ecu?
Yeah saw it running before it went in my car. Also everything is plugged it and fuel injection etc. was installed by a professional.

Same engine code? Same capacity?exactly the same?

Professional you paid to install it didn't get it running before handing it back to you? That's very poor. You should ask the professional why it won't run.

Does the imobiliser light come on then go off before you crank engine?

Ecu fault codes?

1 year difference in year did that correspond with a model change?

With the best wishes I can't fix this for you after such a major operation as an engine change.

Last edited:
Any decent forum should ban users who start "Google-able" problem threads. Most common like "crank no start" for example.
Read this: https://www.google.com/search?q=Crank+but+no+start - there's your answer, somewhere. :cool:

Engine swap is not a brake pads or oil change. Advanced mechanic should perform this (or very seasoned hobbyist).
This (higher level) includes paying attention to details. And giving them away when problems pop out.

Do I really have to ask:
- WHO did the engine swap, you or some professional grease-monkey, or your uncle Jamal,
- what's wrong with the old one (and which one exactly, 1.2 / 1.4 / 8V / 16V / UniAir, MultiAir / Diesel),
- what's the source and condition of the "new" one,
- did "you" swapped the complete engine, including ECU (if so, what about immobiliser),
- if it's MultiAir, did you bled the air out of oil system, do you have proper cranking sound (is there compression or not),
- did "you" renew the timing belt without locking tools,
- wiring harness, there are cosmetic differences between the engines, especially transition from Grande to EVO/2012, different crankshaft sensors,
- can you communicate with the car using OBD2 port (and proper soft, like FES / MES),
- and so on, multiple questions come to mind, there are many potential failure points in such job (list above covers about 20% of them).
Was installed by my mate who is a mechanic.
Same engine code? Same capacity?exactly the same?

Professional you paid to install it didn't get it running before handing it back to you? That's very poor. You should ask the professional why it won't run.

Does the imobiliser light come on then go off before you crank engine?

Ecu fault codes?

1 year difference in year did that correspond with a model change?

With the best wishes I can't fix this for you after such a major operation as an engine change.
yeah alright thank you I’ll check these out. One last thing anyone know what this is called and where I can get one? Sits on starter motor connectors

Attachments

• IMG_4258.jpeg
    IMG_4258.jpeg
    439.3 KB · Views: 10
Back